Admissions information for the Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences program
June 15, 2017
All application materials, the application fee, official transcripts, and all supporting documents must be submitted to the UT Health Science Center Office of the Registrar by the deadline for fall admission.
The Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences degree program combines core curriculum, basic science and math courses taken in the first two years with medical laboratory science courses and clinical practicums that are taken at the Health Science Center in the third and fourth years.
Certain prerequisite courses will apply toward meeting the Texas Core requirements as indicated below (*). Students must have all Texas Core courses completed prior to program entry to the Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences degree program.
Completion of the Texas Core Curriculum (42 semester credit hours) with a grade of C or better:
- English Composition I & II, 6 semester credit hours
- College Algebra or higher (including pre-calculus), 3 semester credit hours*
- Natural Sciences (BIOL, CHEM, PHYS or other natural science), 12 semester credit hours*
- Any philosophy, language, humanities, or English literature course, 3 semester credit hours
- Any arts, drama, or music course, 3 semester credit hours
- U.S. History I & U.S. History II, 6 semester credit hours
- Texas State & Local Government & American Government, 6 semester credit hours
- Any psychology or sociology course, 3 semester credit hours
- All applicants must complete the program prerequisites (20 hours) and requirements below (Note: No grade of less than a C will be accepted; all science courses must be designated for science majors):
- General Chemistry I with lab, 4 semester credit hours*
- General Chemistry II with lab, 4 semester credit hours*
- Biology I with lab, 4 semester credit hours*
- Biology II, 3 semester credit hours*
- Microbiology with lab (upper division), 4 semester credit hours*
- General Physiology or Human Physiology (upper division), 3 semester credit hours*
- Genetics, 3 semester credit hours*
- Organic Chemistry I with lab, 4 semester credit hours*
- Statistics (math, science or psychology), 3 semester credit hours*
- Precalculus, 3 semester credit hours*
- Overall GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Overall science GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Completion of the ApplyTexas Application
- Payment of the non-refundable $60 application fee
- Two reference forms completed by former instructors (preferably science instructors or employers)
- Interview with Department of Medical Laboratory Science faculty members
- Submission of official transcripts from each individual college/university currently or previously attended. Submit official transcripts to UTHSCSA Office of the University Registrar. Applicants who are enrolled in college courses at the time of application should submit an official transcript showing courses in progress. An updated transcript must be submitted upon completion of the courses. Note: Transfer credits indicated on another school’s transcript are not accepted in lieu of submitting the original institution record for that coursework. Transcripts from institutions outside the United States must be submitted in the original language and must be accompanied by a NACES Members evaluation agency English translation for each course.
- International applicants only: Submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores; minimum scores 560 (paper) or 68 (Internet).
After submitting your online application
Once you have submitted your Texas Common Application online, electronically send or mail all required official documentation to:
UT Health San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Dr. Mail Code 7702.
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
For more information
About admission requirements or application process: Contact the School of Health Professions Office of Admissions and Special Programs.