Admissions information for the Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Care program
Fall 2017 application is now open.
Deadline: June 15, 2017
New students for the Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Care degree are admitted one time per year and begin coursework in August.
All application materials, the application fee, official transcripts, and all supporting documents must be submitted to the UT Health Science Center Office of the Registrar by the deadline.
Students will be allowed to co-enroll in the program while working to complete Texas Core requirements. Students must have all Texas Core courses completed no later than their enrollment for the final semester in the Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Care program.
Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Care applicants must complete the Texas Core Curriculum (42 hours) and Professional Prerequisite courses with a grade of C or better.
- English Composition I and II, 6 semester credit hours
- College algebra or higher, 3 semester credit hours*
- Any 3 science course with labs, 12 semester credit hours*
- Any philosophy, language, humanities or literature course, 3 semester credit hours
- Any creative arts course in art, drama or music, 3 semester credit hours
- U.S. History I & U.S. History II, 6 semester credit hours
- Texas State & Local Government & American Government, 6 semester credit hours
- Any social/behavioral science, 3 semester credit hours
Certain prerequisite courses will apply toward meeting the Texas Core requirements as indicated below (*). All applicants must complete the program prerequisites listed below and no grade less than C will be accepted.
- College Algebra of higher, 3 semester credit hours*
- Statistics (Math of Psychology Statistics), 3 semester credit hours
- Anatomy and Physiology I with laboratory and Anatomy and Physiology II with laboratory, 8 semester credit hours *
or Anatomy with laboratory and Physiology with laboratory, 8 semester credit hours
- Microbiology with laboratory, 4 semester credit hours*
- Any Physics with laboratory, 4 semester credit hours
- Any Chemistry with laboratory, 4 semester credit hours*
Additional Admission Requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Respriratory Care
- Sophomore standing or higher at the time of application (minimum of 60 hours)
- Overall GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Ability to compete all general education curriculum and program prerequisite courses by fall enrollment
- Completion of the Texas Common Application
- Payment of the non-refundable application fee
- Submission of official transcripts from each college and university currently or previously attended.
- Applicants who are enrolled in college courses at the time of application should submit an official transcript showing courses in progress. And updated transcript must be submitted upon completion of the courses. Note: Transfer credits indicated on another school's transcript are not accepted in lieu of submitting the original institution record for that coursework. Transcripts from institutions outside the United States must be submitted in the original language and must be acoompanied by a NACES Members evaluation agency English translation.
- Participate in personal interview with program faculty
- International applicants only: Submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores; minimum scores 560 (paper) or 68 (Internet).
- Admission is on a competitive basis. In addition to non-academic factors that may be considered, the basis for inviting an applicant for an interview includes the applicant's academic performance represented by courseowork grades, load, trends, and degree of difficulty.
After submitting your online application
Once you have submitted your Texas Common Application online, electronically send or mail all required official documentation to:
UTHSCSA Office of the Registrar
Mail Code 7702, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
For more information
Before applying: Contact the School of Health Professions Office of Admissions and Special Programs: