Admissions information for the Doctor of Physical Therapy program
For DPT Class of 2017 entry:
Early Offer Period Application Deadline: July 1 – September 20, 2016
Regular Offer Deadline: July 1 – October 20, 2016
The Doctor of Physical Therapy program offers two application cycles: The early offer cycle and the regular offer cycle. If your application and required documents are submitted by the early offer deadline, your application may be considered for an early interview and admission decision. If your application is not selected for an early interview and/or admission decision, your application rolls into the regular offer applicant pool to be further considered for a possible interview and later admission decision.
All applicants must complete the program prerequisites (47 hours) and fulfill the requirements below:
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree at a college/university by June 1 of the year of program entry.
- All applicants must complete all prerequisites coursework listed below by June 1 of the year of program entry. No grade less than “C” will be accepted. All science courses must be designated for science majors or pre-allied health majors:
- Human Anatomy & lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Human or Mammalian Physiology & lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Biology I with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Upper-Level Biology with lab or Biology II with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Chemistry I with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Chemistry II with lab or Organic Chemistry with lab or Biochemistry with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Physics I with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Physics II with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Introduction to Psychology or General Psychology, 3 semester credit hours
- Developmental Psychology or Motor Development or Human Development (must cover the lifespan), 3 semester credit hours
- Introduction to Sociology or Social Psychology or Cultural Anthropology, 3 semester credit hours
- Speech — Public Speaking, 3 semester credit hours
- Statistics (math, sociology or psychology), 3 semester credit hours
* If a combined Human Anatomy & Physiology course is taken, applicants must complete both Anatomy & Physiology I and Anatomy & Physiology II with the appropriate laboratories.
- Overall GPA of 3.2 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Science/Math Prerequisite GPA of 3.2 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Submission of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) official scores. There is no minimum score requirement. See PTCAS for instructions.
- Completion of a Medical Terminology Course (college/university or online certification course)
- A minimum of 50 hours of observation, volunteer, or employment under the general supervision of a licensed Physical Therapist. Please report hours on PTCAS with electronic verification - see PTCAS for instructions.
- Two Letters of Reference with at least one from a licensed Physical Therapist
- Personal written statement/essay - found online in the PTCAS application
- Personal resume including previous work experience, honors, awards, extracurricular activities, and community service experience - emailed to email@example.com. See PTCAS for complete instructions
- Completion of the online application through the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS)
- Completion of the Physical Therapy Supplemental Application – emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment of the $60.00 non-refundable supplemental application fee via the online portal Cashnet
- Submission of all official transcripts from each individual college/university currently or previously attended - must be mailed directly to PTCAS only (see PTCAS for instructions - do not send transcripts to UT Health Science Center at San Antonio)
- Applicants who are enrolled in college courses at the time of application should submit an official transcript showing courses in progress. An updated transcript must be submitted upon completion of the courses. Note: Transfer credits indicated on another school’s transcript are not accepted in lieu of submitting the original institution record for that coursework. Transcripts from institutions outside the United States must be submitted in the original language and must be accompanied by a NACES Members evaluation agency English translation for each course.
- International applicants only: Submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores; minimum scores 560 (paper) or 68 (Internet)
After submitting your online application
Once you have submitted your PTCAS application online, electronically send or mail all required official documentation to (see PTCAS website for full instructions):
P.O. Box 9112
Watertown, MA 02471
For additional application submission questions, please contact PTCAS Customer Support at 617-612-2040, M-F (9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Eastern Time) or email@example.com
For more information
About admission requirements: Contact the School of Health Professions Office of Admissions and Special Programs:
About the program or curriculum: Contact the Physical Therapy Department, or see the UT Health Science Center San Antonio course catalog.