Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) - Admission Requirements Checklist
Application Period for DPT Class of 2017 Entry:
Early Offer Application Deadline: July 1 – September 20, 2016
Regular Application Deadline: July 1 - October 20, 2016
Admission Requirements Checklist
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree at a college/university by June 1 of the year of program entry.
Completion of all prerequisite coursework by June 1 of the year of entry.
- Human Anatomy Lecture & Laboratory (4 semester credit hours)
- Human OR Mammalian Physiology Lecture & Laboratory (4 semester credit hours)
- Biology I Lecture & Laboratory (4 semester credit hours)
- Upper-Level Biology Lecture & Laboratory OR Biology II Lecture & Laboratory (4 semester credit hours)
- Chemistry I Lecture & Laboratory (4 semester credit hours)
- Chemistry II OR Organic Chemistry OR Biochemistry Lecture & Laboratory (4 semester credit hours)
- Physics I Lecture & Laboratory (4 semester credit hours)
- Physics II Lecture & Laboratory (4 semester credit hours)
- Introduction to Psychology Lecture (3 semester credit hours)
- Developmental Psychology OR Motor Development OR Human Development Lecture (3 semester credit hours – must cover the lifespan)
- Introduction to Sociology OR Social Psychology OR Cultural Anthropology Lecture (3 semester credit hours)
- Speech – Public Speaking Lecture (3 semester credit hours)
- Statistics – Math OR Sociology OR Psychology Lecture (3 semester credit hours)
Note: All Science courses must be designated for Science majors or Pre-Allied Health Majors. Please review the DPT FAQs section for additional details.
Each foreign transcript will be evaluated to ascertain that courses are equivalent in content and rigor to prerequisite courses offered by regionally accredited higher education institutions in the United States.
For specific prerequisite course equivalencies, please utilize the approved UT Health Science Center at San Antonio Prerequisite Equivalency Chart for Physical Therapy.
- Science/Math Prerequisite GPA and Overall GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) required – see PTCAS for instructions
- Completion of a Medical Terminology Course (college/university course or online certification course)
- Two References – at least one must be from a licensed Physical Therapist
- Personal written statement/essay – found online in the PTCAS application
- Personal resume including previous work experience, honors, awards, extracurricular activities, and community service experience – see PTCAS for instructions
- Minimum of 50 hours of observation, volunteer, or employment under the general supervision of a licensed Physical Therapist. Please use report hours on PTCAS with electronic verification – see PTCAS for full instructions.
- International Applicants only: Submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores; minimum scores 560 (paper) or 68 (Internet)
Application Requirements Checklist
The Physical Therapy Program requires two separate applications to complete your application. All documents must be completed and received by October 20, 2016 for admission in July 2017.
- Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS) – completed online application
- Physical Therapy (PT) Supplemental Application – emailed to SHPwelcome@uthscsa.edu
- Payment of the $60.00 non-refundable supplemental application fee via the online portal CashNet (https://commerce.cashnet.com/uthscsasf).
- All Official Transcripts from each college/university – must be mailed directly to PTCAS only (See PTCAS instructions – Do not send transcripts to UT Health Science Center San Antonio)
Note: Transcripts from institutions outside the United States must be submitted in the original language to a NACES Members Evaluation agency for an English translation and then must be submitted to PTCAS.
- Two Letters of Recommendations completed – sent directly to PTCAS (See PTCAS instructions)
- Observation Hours (minimum 50 hours) with a licensed Physical Therapist – Please report hours on PTCAS with electronic verification – see PTCAS for full instructions
- Any additional materials required from PTCAS (See PTCAS instructions)
Application Requirements Mailing Address Information:
PTCAS Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 9112
Watertown, MA 02471
For additional application submission questions please contact PTCAS at: PTCAS Customer Support: 617-612-2040, M-F (9am-5pm Eastern Time) or firstname.lastname@example.org
Required Documents (if you are accepted) to the Doctor of Physical Therapy program
If you are made an official offer for the UT Health Science Center at San Antonio Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program, all of the following items are required prior to matriculation:
- Non-refundable $250.00 SHP Tuition Deposit to secure each student’s seat for the DPT Class of 2016 entry. Directions for this process will be sent to accepted students.
- All immunization records: Immunization requirements can be found at the UT Health Science Center at San Antonio Student Health Center Web Page.
Note: The hepatitis B immunization series can takes between 4 to 6 months to complete.
- Completion of a Health Provider CPR course approved by the American Heart Association.
- Evidence of current health insurance showing dates of coverage. Unless proof of proper insurance coverage is provided before the first day of classes, students will be charged for a health insurance policy through the university. The fee for this policy is non-removable once the payment due date passes and is non-refundable once paid.
- Completion of a background check. Directions for this process will be sent to accepted students.
- No exceptions. Please plan early as some documents can take up to 6 months to complete.
Additional Questions and Information:
Applicants seeking academic advisement prior to application are encouraged to visit with their college counselors or contact the School of Health Professions Office of Admissions and Special Programs (OASP).
Office of Admissions & Special Programs: email@example.com, 210-567-6220/Toll-Free 1-866-802-6288
Additional information about the DPT degree program: firstname.lastname@example.org or 210-567-8750
Additional information regarding required documents if you are accepted to the DPT program procedures contact the: UT Health Science Center at San Antonio Registrar’s Office: email@example.com or 210-567-2621