Mission, Vision and Goals
The Mission of the Department of Physician Assistant Studies at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio is to prepare outstanding physician assistants to recognize and treat acute and chronic illness and promote health. The Department of Physician Assistant Studies makes lives better by improving the health care, health outcomes and the wellbeing of patients and their families through education, practice, service and research.
By 2020, the Department of Physician Assistant Studies at the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, will be recognized as a world class Physician Assistant program and be amongst the best programs in the United states. We will lead the nation in Physician Assistant education, scholarship and service.
- Attract a highly qualified and diverse student body
- Maintain a low attrition rate
- Sustain a high first time Physician Assistant National Certification Exam pass rate
- Create graduates who are competitively marketable as health care providers
- Create graduates capable of applying the principles of evidence based medicine in clinical practice, education and research
- Educate Physician Assistants who are qualified by academic and clinical training to provide patient care services with the appropriate supervision of a licensed physician
- Produce graduates with the appropriate knowledge and skills to accurately and reliably perform the range of healthcare procedures and duties customarily ascribed to the Physician Assistant
- Provide a curriculum that stresses the role of the Physician Assistant in health maintenance and preventive medicine while considering the social, economic, environmental, cultural and ethical aspects of the people served
- Develop the intellectual, ethical, and professional attitudes and behaviors that generate trust and respect from the patient population served by the Physician Assistant
- Provide training that promotes an understanding of the interdependence of health professionals and that fosters the utilization of the interdisciplinary team approach to the delivery of health care
- Provide training that develops Physician Assistants who have the knowledge to perform in a highly professional and skilled capacity
- Provide educational experiences that stimulate active learning in the science and art of medicine and instill an appreciation for “lifelong” learning as a practicing professional
- Instill a desire for and prepare students to enter health care careers in medically underserved areas.
- Create graduates with a passion for service to the community, profession and Nation
- Become the Physician Assistant Program of choice