Admissions information for the Master of Physician Assistant Studies program
2017 program entry: April 27 – September 1, 2016
Fall 2017 entry extended to October 1, 2016
All application materials, the application fee, official transcripts, and all supporting documents must be submitted to the UT Health Science Center Office of the Registrar by the deadline.
- Completion and conferment of a bachelor's degree at a regionally accredited college or university prior to the end of May during the desired year of matriculation.
- All applicants must complete the program prerequisites listed below by September 1, 2016, and no grade less than C will be accepted. All science courses must be designated for science majors.
- Biology I with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Biology II with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Human Anatomy & lab, 4 semester credit hours*
- Human Physiology, 3 semester credit hours*
- Organic Chemistry I with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Organic Chemistry II with lab, 4 semester credit hours
- Biochemistry, 3 semester credit hours
- Microbiology, 3 semester credit hours
- Genetics, 3 semester credit hours
- Psychology – Introductory, General, Abnormal or Developmental, 3 semester credit hours
- Statistics – any discipline-specific course is acceptable, 3 semester credit hours
* If a combined Human Anatomy & Physiology course is taken, applicants must complete both Anatomy & Physiology I and Anatomy & Physiology II with the appropriate laboratories.
- Overall GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Overall Science GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Submission of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) official scores. There is no minimum score requirement.
- Community service hours required.
- 500 hours of direct, hands-on patient care experience required
- 100 hours of Physician Assistant shadowing required
- Two reference letters - sent directly to CASPA
- Any additional materials required from CASPA
- Completion of the online application through the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA)
- Completion of the MPAS Supplemental Application - submitted online through CASPA
- Payment of the $60.00 non-refundable supplemental application fee via the online portal Cashnet
- Submission of official transcripts from each individual college/university currently or previously attended - must be mailed directly to CASPA only (Do not send transcripts to UT Health Science Center at San Antonio)
- Applicants who are enrolled in college courses at the time of application should submit an official transcript showing courses in progress. An updated transcript must be submitted upon completion of the courses. Note: Transfer credits indicated on another school’s transcript are not accepted in lieu of submitting the original institution record for that coursework. Transcripts from institutions outside the United States must be submitted in the original language and must be accompanied by a NACES Members evaluation agency English translation for each course.
- International applicants only: Submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores; minimum scores 560 (paper) or 68 (Internet).
For successful completion of the Physician Assistant Program, a candidate must be able to perform the following Technical Standards.
After submitting your online application
Once you have submitted your CASPA application online, electronically send or mail all required official documentation to the following address. See CASPA website for further instructions.
P.O. Box 9108
Watertown, MA 02471
For additional application submission questions, please contact CASPA Customer Support at 617-612-2080, M-F (9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Eastern Time) or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information
About admission requirements or application process: Contact the School of Health Professions Office of Admissions and Special Programs:
About the program: Contact the Physician Assistant Studies Department, or see the UT Health Science Center San Antonio course catalog.