Vikki F. Ross
Senior Director of Supply Chain Management
& HUB Coordinator
The Purchasing Department for the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is charged with the responsibility to acquire all goods and services that ensure the academic needs, research, patient care and public service goals are met in a cost-effective and efficient manner.
In the daily execution of procurement activities, the Purchasing Team strives to provide a balance between price, value, quality, delivery and service in compliance with State and Federal Statutes, as well as established Regents' Rules and Regulations. The Purchasing Department's mission is to provide the best service to our vendors and University staff.
If you have any purchasing questions, please visit our Purchasing Team Contacts for further assistance.
Purchase Order Fraud Alert
We have become aware recently of fraudulent purchase orders purporting to originate from The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and being placed with suppliers of electronics and IT equipment. These counterfeit purchase orders are usually for popular items that can easily be resold (e.g., hard drives, projectors, laptop PCs, routers, etc.). Please note that the university’s Internet address is www.uthscsa.edu, and any email correspondence regarding potential merchandise orders would originate from an address ending in @uthscsa.edu. It is not our practice to ask our suppliers to ship to addresses that are not Health Science Center campus or clinic facilities. It is also not our practice to place orders for merchandise that will be picked up at supplier premises. Given a recent increase in this fraudulent activity, we ask that recipients of suspicious purchase orders confirm the validity of orders by contacting us at email@example.com.
Common features of the vendor-targeted scam using counterfeit Health Science Center Purchase Orders:
- Goods ordered are usually popular electronic or IT items that can easily be resold
- Orders may start with an e-mail inquiry asking for a quote for a small order, followed by a subsequent request for quote on a larger order
- Orders have a Ship To address that is not a Health Science Center facility.
- The order designates a residential Ship To address, or
- indicates the merchandise will be picked up at the supplier’s premises.
- Bogus contact information such as invalid phone numbers, or Purchasing department email addresses using a bogus extension, such as @uthscs.com or @uthscsaedu.mygbiz.com.
Direct Connect is a requisition type in PeopleSoft Financials that allows us to directly connect to a vendor’s website, with access to electronic catalogs.
Vendors that have established a Direct Connect relationship are preferred suppliers of the UT System Supply Chain Alliance or have another type of agreement with the Health Science Center. This means that the prices listed on the Direct Connect vendor’s website have been negotiated through the appropriate procurement method and requires no additional bid competition or justification.
Visit Direct Connect to keep informed of new vendors as they are added.
- Grainger - Helpful tips to order using Direct Connect Requisitions.
- McKesson, Inc. - Helpful tips to order using Direct Connect Requisitions.
- Sigma-Aldrich - Helpful tips to order using Direct Connect Requisitions.
- SHI Government Solutions - Helpful tips to order using Direct Connect Requisitions.
- Life Technologies Corporation - Helpful tips to order using Direct Connect Requisitions.
- Fisher Scientific - Your Online Science Source
- Today's Business Solutions is a Texas HUB Certified Partner with OfficeMax providing office supplies. The ordering process for office supplies are as follows:
- Purchase Orders: For requisitions sent to the Purchasing Department for processing, use Today's Business Solutions and Vendor ID 0000264177.
- General Stores: Orders will be processed through General Stores requisitions and you will select Today's Business Solutions and Vendor ID 0000264177.
- ProCard: Orders may be placed using your ProCard and username at Today's Business Solutions
- Direct any questions to the Purchasing Department at 210-562-6200 or PurchAdmin@uthscsa.edu, or the General Stores at 210-567-5966 or GeneralStore@uthscsa.edu.