Department of Cellular and Structural Biology
CSB Postdoctoral Fellow
Ryu, Jiyoon Select a Tab
- Adiponectin is one of adipocytokines secreted from adipose tissue. Reduced adiponectin concentration in circulation can be found in patients of type 2 diabetes, obesity and metabolic disorder. It acts as an insulin-sensitizer by alleviating insulin resistance and glucose tolerance. Adiponectin induces fatty acid oxidation via activation of AMPK in muscle and liver tissues after binding to its receptors (AdipoR1 and AdipoR2). Our lab has identified that APPL1 (Adaptor protein containing PH domain, PTB domain, and leucin zipper motif) is a first signaling molecule binding to adiponectin receptors and positively mediates adiponectin signaling in muscle cells.
- One of my current projects is to investigate the physiological roles of APPL1 in regulating insulin sensitivity and metabolism in vivo. The results generated from this study should provide critical information on the molecular mechanism underlying the insulin sensitizing effect of adiponectin, which should have significant implications in the development of new therapeutic drugs for the treatment of obesity, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
- Zhou L, Deepa SS, Etzler JC, Ryu J, Mao X, Fang Q, Liu DD, Torres JM, Jia W, Lechleiter JD, Liu F, Dong LQ. (2009) Adiponectin activates AMPK in muscle cells via APPL1/LKB1- and PLC/Ca2+/CaMKK-dependent pathways. J Biol Chem. 2009 Jun 11.
- Chang EJ, Ha J, Oerlemans F, Lee YJ, Lee SW, Ryu J, Kim HJ, Lee Y, Kim HM, Choi JY, Kim JY, Shin CS, Pak YK, Tanaka S, Wieringa B, Lee ZH, Kim HH. (2008) Brain-type creatine kinase has a crucial role in osteoclast-mediated bone resorption. Nat Med. 2008 Sep;14(9):966-72.
- Kim HJ, Lee Y, Chang EJ, Kim HM, Hong SP, Lee ZH, Ryu J, Kim HH. (2007) Suppression of osteoclastogenesis by N,N-dimethyl-D-erythro-sphingosine: a sphingosine kinase inhibition-independent action. Mol Pharmacol. 2007 Aug;72(2):418-28.
- Ryu J, Kim HJ, Chang EJ, Huang H, Banno Y, Kim HH. (2006) Sphingosine 1-phosphate as a regulator of osteoclast differentiation and osteoclast-osteoblast coupling. EMBO J. 2006 Dec 13;25(24):5840-51.
- Ryu J, Kim H, Lee SK, Chang EJ, Kim HJ, Kim HH. (2005) Proteomic identification of the TRAF6 regulation of vacuolar ATPase for osteoclast function. Proteomics. 2005 Nov;5(16):4152-60.