CSB Postdoctoral Fellow
Tiwari, Meenakshi Select a Tab
Apoptosis and autophagy are critical in tissue homeostasis, genome maintenance and quality control of cellular organelles. My interest is in role of apoptosis and autophagy, two pathways involved in neurodegenerative disease, pathogenesis of human cancers and ageing.
During Ph.D, my research was focused on studying the mechanism of drug- induced cell death in cancerous cells, as well as cell death during brain development. Currently as a postdoctoral fellow, my research is focused to understanding the mechanisms of oxidative stress induced cell death in neurons. Presently, I am working on the hypotheses that caspase-2 modulates mitochondrial oxidative stress- induced apoptosis in neurons and such apoptosis affects aging in a tissue specific fashion.
To test this hypothesis following are the specific aims:
1) Determine the age-dependent sensitivity of cortical neurons, mesenchepalic cells
caspase-2-/-, caspase-2 brain specific (caspase-2B-/-) and WT mice to various oxidants stressors both in-vitro and in-vivo.
2) Measure the survival of the caspase-2-/- and caspase-2B-/- mice compared to WT mice.
3) Determine if caspase-2-/- and caspase-2B-/- mice are more or less resistant to oxidative stress and whether oxidative stress and/or age result in the development of organ specific pathology.
These studies in my lab can generate important information about the relationship between oxidative stress, mitochondria, apoptosis and aging in a tissue specific fashion.
- Tiwari M, Herman B, Morgan WW. (2011) A knockout of the caspase 2 gene produces increased resistance of the nigrostriatal dopaminergic pathway to MPTP-induced toxicity. Exp Neurol. 2011 Jun;229(2):421-8
- Tiwari M, Lopez-Cruzan M, Morgan WW, Herman B. (2011) Loss of caspase-2 dependent apoptosis induces autophagy following mitochondria oxidative stress in primary cultures of young-adult cortical neurons. J Biol Chem. 2011 Jan 7.
- Sinha RA, Pathak A, Kumar A, Tiwari M, Shrivastava A, Godbole MM. (2009) Enhanced neuronal loss under perinatal hypothyroidism involves impaired neurotrophic signaling and increased proteolysis of p75(NTR). Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009 Mar;40(3):354-64.
- Tiwari M, Bajpai VK, Sahasrabuddhe AA, Kumar A, Sinha RA, Behari S, Godbole MM. (2008) Inhibition of N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)retinamide-induced autophagy at a lower dose enhances cell death in malignant glioma cells. Carcinogenesis. 2008 Mar;29(3):600-9.
- Kumar A, Sinha RA, Tiwari M, Singh R, Koji T, Manhas N, Rastogi L, Pal L, Shrivastava A, Sahu RP, Godbole MM. (2007) Hyperthyroidism induces apoptosis in rat liver through activation of death receptor-mediated pathways. J Hepatol. 2007 May;46(5):888-98.
- Tiwari M, Kumar A, Sinha RA, Shrivastava A, Balapure AK, Sharma R, Bajpai VK, Mitra K, Babu S, Godbole MM. (2006) Mechanism of 4-HPR-induced apoptosis in glioma cells: evidences suggesting role of mitochondrial-mediated pathway and endoplasmic reticulum stress. Carcinogenesis. 2006 Oct;27(10):2047-58.
- Shrivastava A, Tiwari M, Sinha RA, Kumar A, Balapure AK, Bajpai VK, Sharma R, Mitra K, Tandon A, Godbole MM. (2006) Molecular iodine induces caspase-independent apoptosis in human breast carcinoma cells involving the mitochondria-mediated pathway. J Biol Chem. 2006 Jul 14;281(28):19762-71.