Faculty Recruitment Procedures
UTHSCSA HANDBOOK OF OPERATING PROCEDURES
|Chapter 3||Faculty Policies and Procedures||Effective:||February 2000|
|Section 3.3||Faculty Recruitment Procedures||Revised:||January 2011|
|Policy 3.3.1||Faculty Recruitment Procedures||Responsible Party:||Executive Director, Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office|
Notification of Faculty Vacancy
The department Chair or Chair of the Search Committee shall notify the Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office in advance concerning announcement of a faculty vacancy. The Notification of Faculty Vacancy will be prepared by the department and forwarded to the Office of Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office.
The Executive Director will review all advertisements to ensure compliance with equal employment opportunity/affirmative action practices. Departments should submit advertisements for appropriate journals or other publications through the Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office. Departments, Offices of the Deans and the President will post all faculty and Executive Committee advertisements for recruitments on their respective Web sites. The date of posting and the file number will be included for tracking purposes. All advertisements should be accomplished in accordance with the advertising guidelines below.
If other means of advertisement (i.e., letters, telephone calls) are utilized, these should be listed on the Notification of Faculty Vacancy under “Recruitment Source” and copies submitted as appropriate. A 30-day posting period is required for advertising a faculty vacancy.
The Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office is responsible for maintaining the “Affirmative Action Account” which is used to pay for advertising costs to place “position available” announcements in journals or publications for faculty recruitment. The following guidelines apply to ad placements for faculty positions only:
- Submit a copy of the advertisement to the Office of Faculty and Academic EO/AA. The following statements should be used in the body of the advertisement: "The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer" and “All faculty appointments are designated as security sensitive positions”. These statements should be included as separate sentences in the advertisement.
- To encumber institutional funds, the estimated cost of the ad should be provided.
- No artwork will be approved for payment from the “Affirmative Action Account”.
- Only one advertisement in one issue of one journal or publication will be approved for payment from institutional funds. Additional ad placements may be paid from the requesting department’s account. Additional ad placements may be paid for from other accounts if available and should contain the required statements and instructions stated in item 1 above.
- Chairs and above positions will be approved for the payment of two ad placements (in one issue of each publication). Additional ad placements may be paid for from other accounts if available and should contain the required statements and instructions stated in item
- The requesting department should, upon receipt of the invoice and tear sheet from the publication, prepare a Local/State Voucher, leaving the account number, department, and account signature blank.
- The voucher, invoice, and tear sheet should be forwarded to the Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office for the account number and signature. After approval, the voucher will be forwarded to the Accounting Office for payment.
All Search Committees will follow the guidelines provided in the “Resource Guide for Faculty and Executive Committee Recruitment” (guidelines to be found on the Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office Web site). All applicant vita and resumes should be addressed and mailed to the Chair of the Search Committee, the Chair of the department, or the Chief of the division. All such vita and resumes received for a faculty position will be forwarded to the appropriate hiring authority. As vita or resumes are received, an Applicant Log shall be forwarded to the Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office with the names and addresses of the applicants who apply for the faculty position. This Log will provide the necessary information so that a voluntary request for demographic information may be sent to each applicant and returned to the Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office before the recruitment process is completed. An official, original transcript must be received, and a sanction and security background check must be accomplished, and clearance received. At the end of the recruitment process the Faculty Recruitment Report along with the vita and resumes of all applicants for the position should be forwarded to the Dean’s Office with the Faculty Appointment Packet. The Dean’s Office will forward the Faculty Appointment Packet to the Academic, Faculty and Student Ombudsperson & ADA Compliance Office for review. These procedures will establish a documented database necessary to ensure compliance with the equal employment policies of the Health Science Center as mandated by the U.S. Department of Labor and the Texas Commission on Human Rights.
Note: A department may forward the vita and resumes of applicants with the applicant log or at the end of the recruitment process.
Prior to extending a formal offer to the successful candidate, the letter of offer will be reviewed by the Executive Director and approved by the appropriate Dean. Letters of offer to prospective Chairs will be reviewed by the Executive Director, and approved by the President’s Office.
When a recruitment package and offer involves the commitment of funds, space or other support from the President’s Office, the commitment must be placed in writing in the offer letter by the Dean, department Chair, or Director. The letter must be sent to the President and the Senior Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer for prior approval and signature prior to being sent to the faculty member. If a signature is not obtained, then the commitment is not valid.
Faculty Recruitment Procedures Packet
The following forms and information can download as a Word document or PDFs which require acrobat reader.
|Attachment 1 - Notification of Faculty Vacancy||Word file|
|Attachment 2 - Advertising Guidelines||Word file|
|Attachment 3 - Applicant Log||Word file|
|Attachment 4 - Faculty Recruitment Report||Word file|
|Faculty Recruitment Procedures - Check-Off Sheet||Word file|
|Waivers/Special Circumstances - Check-Off Sheet||Word file|