Lions Sight Research Center
In 1925, Helen Keller, speaking at the International Convention, challenged Lions to become "Knights of the Blind". The organization took the challenge, and Lions Clubs throughout the world conduct a variety of projects supporting the vision-impaired and promoting vision care. In 1982, the Lions Sight Research Foundation was formed to further efforts in sight conservation.
What began as the region's only Eye Pathology Laboratory in 1982, has become the Lions Sight Research Center. Located in the Robert F. McDermott Clinical Science Building on the Greehey Academic and Research Campus of the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, this state-of-the-art facility was dedicated in October 1991. The Lions Sight Research Center symbolizes the commitment of the Lions of South Texas to education, to basic science research and to the clinical study of human vision. It is that commitment which has made the Foundation a valued member of the South Texas bio-medical research community. In partnership with the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, the Foundation has established the endowed position of Lions Professor of Ophthalmic Pathology and Director of the Lions Sight Research Center. Through the Lions Sight Research Foundation, Lions members raise funds to purchase research equipment and help support eye screenings throughout the 22 counties within their district. A Mobile Eye Screening Unit (MESU) provides these services to many of the underserved areas of South Texas.
The Lions Sight Research Center is located in the Department of Ophthalmology at the Robert F. McDermott Clinical Science Building at the Greehey Academic and Research Campus, at 8403 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229-3900. Contact the Lions Sight Research Center's Administrative Office at (210) 567-8400 for further information.
Mr. James Wheeler, President and Chief Operating Officer of the Lions Sight Research Foundation, is located at 4502 Centerview Drive, Suite 120, San Antonio, TX 78228. Call (210) 366-1547 for additional information.