Microbiology & Immunology Faculty
Santanu Bose, Ph.D.
a) Host defense mechanism; antiviral response and inflammation: innate immune antiviral and inflammatory response against respiratory RNA viruses like human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and influenza A virus (flu).
b) Cancer therapeutics: Virus based anti-cancer therapeutics.
Respiratory RNA virus infection and inflammation
Respiratory viruses like RSV, flu cause severe lung disease that manifest as pneumonia and bronchiolitis. These two diseases develop due to massive inflammation in the lung. Therefore, we are investigating the mechanism by which RSV and flu induce inflammation in the lung during infection. Particularly, we are interested in identifying and characterizing cellular factor that regulate inflammation. Our lab is focused on elucidating the mechanism of inflammasome activation by viruses. Inflammasome is an intracellular multi-protein complex involved in initiating inflammation by virtue of controlling production of pro-inflammatory mediators and inducing cell death. Our lab is investigating the biochemical, cellular and molecular mechanism responsible for inflammasome complex formation and activation during infection. Our studies have potential to be developed as therapeutic targets to control inflammation (and associated diseases like pneumonia) during respiratory virus infection.
Innate immune antiviral response against respiratory RNA viruses
We are studying the innate immune response (the first line of defense against pathogens) against RSV and flu. These respiratory viruses are highly pathogenic and cause diseases (pneumonia, bronchiolitis) in children/infants and elderly. We are investigating the mechanism of host derived antiviral immune response to identify novel antiviral molecules/pathways, which could be potentially developed as effective antiviral therapy or used as an immune-modulating adjuvant during vaccination. Our studies on innate immune response constitutes investigation of the role of two signaling pathways, NF-kappa B and interferon-alpa/beta induced JAK/STAT pathways in establishing an antiviral state. The long-term goal of our research is to identify and characterize a) the molecules that play a critical role in activation of these pathways and, b) the antiviral factors that are induced by NF-kappa B and JAK/STAT signaling cascades.
Development of anti-cancer oncolytic RNA viruses
We have recently identified a RNA virus that has "oncolytic" property, i.e. it kills tumor cells, but not normal cells. We are generating genetically engineered "safe" and "efficient" recombinant viruses as anti-cancer therapeutic agent for virus-based cancer therapy called virotherapy.
In summary, our laboratory encompasses several aspects of cell and molecular biology/virology with emphasis on – a) innate immune antiviral signal transduction pathway, b) cellular/molecular mechanism that triggers inflammation during virus infection, c) virus-host/cell interaction, and d) development of virus-based anti-cancer therapeutics.
Selected publications (total 35 publications)
- Bose, S; Basu, M & Banerjee, A. K. Role of nucleolin in human parainfluenza virus type 3 infection of human lung epithelial cells. J. Virol. 78: 8146-8158 (2004). Faculty of 1000 Biology: evaluations for Bose S et al J Virol 2004 Aug 78 (15) :8146-58
- Bose, S; Kar, N; Maitra, R; Didonato, J & Banerjee, A. K. Temporal activation of NF-κB regulates an interferon independent innate anti-viral response against cytoplasmic RNA viruses. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 100 : 10890-10895 (2003).
- Kota, S; Sabbah, A; Chang, T. H; Harnack, R; Xiang, Y; Meng, Y & Bose, S. Role of human beta-defensin-2 during tumor necrosis factor-alpha/NF-kappa B mediated innate anti-viral response against human respiratory syncytial virus. J. Biol. Chem. 283: 22417-22429 (2008).
- Echchgadda, I; Kota, S; DeLa Cruz, I; Sabbah, A; Chatterjee, B & Bose, S. Anti-cancer oncolytic activity of respiratory syncytial virus. Cancer. Gene. Ther. 16: 923-935 (2009).
- Sabbah, A; Chang, T; Harnack, R; Frohlich, V; Dube, P.H; Tominaga, K; Xiang, Y & Bose, S. Activation of innate immune antiviral response by Nod2. Nature. Immunol. 10: 1073 – 1080 (2009). News & Views – Murray, P. J. Beyond peptidoglycan for Nod2. Nature. Immunol.10:1053-1054 (2009). Activation of innate immune antiviral responses by Nod2. Nature Rev Immunol. 9(12):820 (2009). Faculty of 1000 Biology: evaluations for Sabbah A et al Nat Immunol 2009 Oct 10 (10):1073-80.
- Sabbah, A & Bose, S. Retinoic acid inducible gene I activates innate antiviral response against human parainfluenza virus type 3. Virology. J. 6 (200): 1-7 (2009).
- Echchgadda, I; Chang, T; Sabbah, A; Bakri, I; Ikeno, Y; Hubbard, G; Chatterjee, B & Bose, S. Oncolytic targeting of androgen-sensitive prostate tumor by the respiratory syncytial virus: A Consequence to impaired type-I interferon-dependent antiviral response. BMC. Cancer. 11: 43 (2011).
- Mgbemena, V; Segovia, J; Chang, T & Bose, S. Krüppel-like factor 6 regulates transforming growth factor-beta gene expression during human respiratory syncytial virus infection. Virology. J. 8:409 (2011).
- Chang, T; Segovia, J.A; Sabbah, A; Bose, S. Role of cholesterol-rich lipid raft in human respiratory syncytial virus infection. Virology. 422: 205-211 (2012).
- Segovia, J; Sabbah, A; Mgbemena, V; Tsai, S; Chang, T; Berton, M; Morris, I. R; Ting, J. P & Bose, S. TLR2/MyD88/NF-kappa B pathway, reactive oxygen species, K+ efflux activates NLRPR3/ASC inflammasome during respiratory syncytial virus infection. PLoS. One. 7:e29695 (2012).
- Bose, R; Thinwa, J; Chaparro, P; Zhong, Y; Bose, S; Zhong, G & Dube, P. H. MAP-kinase-dependent activation of IL-1alpha intracrine signaling is modulated by YopP during Y. enterocolitica infection. Infect. Immun. 80:289-297 (2011).
- Mgbemena, V; Segovia, J; Chang, T; Tsai, S-Y; Cole, G. T; Hung, C-Y & Bose, S. Transactivation of inducible nitric oxide synthase gene by Krüppel-like factor 6 regulates apoptosis during influenza A virus infections. J. Immunol.189: 606-615 (2012).
Lab Rooms: STRF- 293.1 A-F Phone: (210) 562-4170