Welcome to The Mission
We are the magazine of The University of
Health Science Center at San Antonio.
correspondence to the
editor, Natalie Gutierrez,
- Although latex allergies are not common, they are increasing.
Some health care workers and patients have experienced a wide range
of allergic reactions to the material. One Health Science Center dental
student went into anaphylactic shock. Discover the warning signs of
latex allergies and some precautions that may prevent severe allergic
Diabetics struggle to find the right balance in lifestyle choices
- Researchers are finding links between depression and high glucose levels.
Diabetics may be required to balance diet, exercise and stress in an effort to
successfully treat the disease.
- A remote imaging system is helping identify South Texas area residents
who are at greatest risk for the blinding eye disease diabetic retinopathy. Images
of patients' eyes can be captured and transmitted to Health Science Center
eye specialists. The results are reported back to a mobile unit, where the patient
receives on-the-spot counseling regarding treatment.
- Educational programs for physicians, dentists, nurses and allied health
professionals are expanding from Laredo to the Rio Grande Valley to Corpus
Christi and the Coastal Bend as part of the South Texas/Border Region Health
- The six recipients of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching
share some ideas on what constitutes teaching excellence.
- Can you tell the difference between some popular treats and over-
the-counter treatments? Since so many potentially harmful products look so
appealing, children are especially susceptible to mistaking treatments for treats.
The South Texas Poison Center offers some tips for avoiding mishaps.
- Adolescents don't outgrow pediatricians
- Free ImageTool assists researchers worldwide
Return to index of other issues
- Smith Professorship in Family Practice honors San Antonio physician
- James Dye estate bequeaths $1 million to HSC
- Strodel is new chair of surgery
- Bowman scholars announced
- Pathology selects Reddick as chair
- School of Nursing opens expansion
- Physical therapy names Hartgraves new chair
- San Antonio Cancer Institute receives top status designation
- Crosby joins HSC to develop major gifts
- Researchers shed new light on causes of stuttering
- Dental associations select Boyan, Sandoval as presidents
- Colon cancer patients may have alternatives to traditional surgery
- State and local groups support HSC projects
- Monitoring moles could save your life
The Mission, Department of Communications, The University
of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio,
7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78284-7768
Telephone: (210) 567-2570