Information about the Symposium
We hope you can join us for the upcoming Annual Symposium of the UT Health San Antonio Cancer Center that will be held at the Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute of The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UT Health San Antonio), 8403 Floyd Curl Drive, on Thursday, January 12, 2017, from 7:45 am to 3:30 pm. Please send an email to email@example.com to register.
We are excited to announce we will have three special keynote speakers and three programmatic speakers. View the full agenda.
There will also be a competitive poster session where predoctoral and postdoctoral students and fellows at UT Health San Antonio whose mentors are cancer center members (either full or associate) will showcase their cancer research projects. Posters will be judged by a panel of faculty from UT Health, UTSA and UT Austin during the symposium and awards presented to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place posters in both pre-doctoral and post-doctoral categories. Only students and fellows/post-doctorates are eligible for awards.
A highlight of the symposium will be a competitive poster session. Predoctoral and postdoctoral students/fellows at whose mentors are cancer center members (either full or associate) can showcase their cancer research projects. Mentors who are not members are encouraged to apply for membership.
The subject of the poster should fall within the broad goals of one of the three research programs at the cancer center:
- Experimental and Developmental Therapeutics (EDT)
- Cancer Development and Progression (CDP)
- Population Science and Prevention (PSP)
Work in progress can also be presented.
Presenters are required to submit an abstract no later than November 16, 2016. Please submit abstracts via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The abstract should be no longer than one page, with one-inch margins
- Use 12-point Times New Roman font
- The name of one of the three research programs that the mentor belongs to should appear the first line of the abstract
- The second line should be the presenter category: predoctoral student or postdoctoral student/fellow
- The abstract should include a title, list of authors and department/division affiliation
- The body of the abstract should include background/introduction, methods, results and conclusion/significance/impact
If your abstract is accepted; you will be responsible for developing a poster using the following general rules and guidelines:
- The posters should be 24 X 63 to fit on vertical x-banners, the center will provide the x-banners. Read the printing specification details.
- The top of the poster should feature the title of the project/program, the principal investigator and any other contributors
- The content of the poster should be divided into appropriate sections (i.e., background/introduction, aims, methods, data/results, conclusions, significance/impact, etc.)
- Include illustrations if possible – figures, tables, color photographs, charts
- The material should be well labeled and legible from a distance of two yards
- Lettering should be bold
- Avoid use of fancy fonts
- Simple serif fonts (i.e., Times New Roman) are easier to read than sans (without) serif fonts (i.e., Geneva)
- All posters have to be identified with the primary cancer center program affiliation of the mentor and noted which grant and core usage the research was supported by
Posters in any other format will not be displayed due to the limited availability of poster boards.
- Call for Abstracts Opens: 10/21/2016
- Call for Abstracts Closes: 11/16/2016 (emails must be received by 5:00 p.m. CST)
- Poster Presenters Notified: 12/09/2016
- Poster Presentation: 01/12/2017
This symposium is supported by the UT Health Cancer Center of The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UT Health San Antonio), through the NCI Cancer Center Support Grant (P30 CA054174).
The symposium is organized with help from Drs. Susan Mooberry, Andrew Brenner, Rong Li, Tyler Curiel, Pratap Kumar, Gail Tomlinson, Susan Padalecki, Ian Thompson and the cancer center executive committee.
For more information, please contact Lori Moctezuma by phone at 210-450-1140 or email email@example.com.