Breast cancer is a cancer that starts in the tissues of the breast. Breast cancer is the second most common cancer diagnosed in women in the United States, after skin cancer. Breast cancer can occur in both men and women, but it is far more common in women.
There are two main types of breast cancer:
- Ductal carcinoma starts in the tubes (ducts) that carry milk from the breast to the nipple. Most breast cancers are of this type.
- Lobular carcinoma starts in parts of the breast that produce milk (lobules).
Why choose the Cancer Therapy & Research Center for breast cancer care?
The Cancer Therapy & Research Center is a premiere cancer research and treatment facility and the only National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated cancer center in Central and South Texas. Our doctors provide extraordinary care for patients with breast cancer that includes:
- A team approach: You will be cared for by our Breast Cancer team, which includes surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists, experts in genetics and prevention, pathologists and plastic surgeons — all working together, in the same building. This helps make your appointments as convenient as possible.
- Oncofertility: If you are concerned about the effects your cancer treatment may have on your ability to conceive, our reproductive gynecologists will speak to you about the many options available to you for preserving fertility.
- Genetic counseling: We offer cancer genetics counseling services to help you understand your genetic risk of developing cancer and provide information and support.
- Wellness Center: If you have been diagnosed with cancer, you may be feeling overwhelmed in many ways. We will assist you through every aspect of your cancer journey, from our patient education library, nutritional support, exercise, massage therapy, spiritual and psychological support.
- Innovation and research: We have made nationally and internationally recognized contributions to breast health improvements. Your doctors will provide the most current therapies available and may suggest you enroll in clinical trials for new treatments.
- Survivorship clinic: This clinic will focus on your health and life after treatment of your breast cancer.
Clinical trials for breast cancer are a major part of our work here at the cancer center. Because we are a cancer center designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), you can be assured that you’re in the right place if a clinical trial is a treatment option that makes sense for your diagnosis. Our staff has the expertise to help you through all phases of a clinical trial.
Make an appointment
To request an appointment with our team or to make a referral to one of our physicians, please call the main number: 210-450-1000 or 800-340-2872 or email CTRCReferral@uthscsa.edu.