Physician Assistant Studies
Date posted: May 8, 2013
Applications are being sought for the position of Chair, Department of Physician Assistant Studies (PAS). The position is a full-time, 12 month, tenure track appointment beginning July 1, 2013 or when filled. Responsibilities for this position include direction and administration of the department; teaching; services; scholarly work; and extramural funding development. Clinical practice is an opportunity through the practice plan.
The department offers a professional, entry level master’s degree in physician assistant studies. The program is fully accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA).
The Department is one of six departments in the School of Health Professions. UT Health Science Center at San Antonio is a major academic health science university composed of a Dental School, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, School of Medicine, School of Health Professions, and School of Nursing. It is located in beautiful San Antonio, a city with moderate climate, a rich cultural environment, and low cost of living.
The Department is one of six departments in the School. UT Health Science Center at San Antonio is a major academic health science university composed of a Dental School, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, School of Medicine, School of Health Professions, and School of Nursing. It is located in beautiful San Antonio, a city with moderate climate, a rich cultural environment, and low cost of living
- A master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited university in an area appropriate for PA education (doctorate preferred)
- Five years of teaching experience at the college/university level (PA desired) with education and administration experience
- A record of scholarly achievement
- Ability to develop and assess curriculum
- Ability to manage department finances and budget
- Ability to manage personnel
- Knowledge of PA structure and services;
- Knowledge and familiarity with national accreditation standards and requirements
- Experience in using and developing distance learning materials;
- Five years of PA clinical experience
- Evidence of communication and decision-making skills
- Graduation from an accredited physician assistant program
- Hold NCCPA certification
- Eligible for license to practice in Texas.
- Must be obtained within six months of hire
- A vision for the future of the physician assistant education;
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three references to:
Chair, Physician Assistant Studies Search Committee
7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MSC 7775
San Antonio, Texas 78229.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is identified.
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All faculty appointments are designated as security sensitive positions.
Date posted: July 26, 2013
The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, School of Health Professions (SHP) and Department of Physician Assistant Studies (PAS) are searching for two full-time faculty members. The PAS Department is one of six SHP departments. The SHP and the PAS Department offer innovative faculty development opportunities that assist faculty members in their own growth and development. The PAS Department offers a dynamic educational program in San Antonio, Texas. Commitments to address access to both health and educational disparities among the Hispanic population and South Texas are strong and form the core of the program’s mission. Academic rank/appointment/tenure or non-tenure track status/salary are dependent on the educational experience and degree of the successful candidate. Position expectations include teaching, service, and scholarly activity. Clinical practice opportunities are available through a faculty practice plan.
Requirements for consideration include:
- Master’s degree from an accredited university or college;
- Graduation from an accredited Physician Assistant program;
- Current NCCPA certification;
- Texas license-eligible (must obtain license within 6 months of hire
- Evidence of effective communication skills;
- Evidence of teaching skills; Physician Assistant education experience is desired, but not required
- Clinical practice experience;
- Knowledge of South Texas health care environment/issues and Spanish language ability are desired, but not required.
All attempts are being made to fill the positions no later than January 1, 2014.
Applications are being accepted and review will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Send a letter of interest, current CV, and the names, email addresses and phone numbers of three references to:
Barbara Quillin, MPAS, PA-C
Interim Chair, Department of Physician Assistant Studies
Physician Assistant Search Committee
School of Health Professions
UT Health Science Center – San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Dr. MC6249
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
Application materials can be submitted electronically to Quillin@uthscsa.edu
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All faculty appointments are designated as security sensitive positions.