Henry C. McGill Jr., M.D.
Henry C. McGill Jr., M.D., a pathologist and founding faculty member of the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, died Feb. 23. He was 95.
Dr. McGill received his medical degree from Vanderbilt University in 1946. At Louisiana State University in the late 1940s, he began studying and researching childhood atherosclerosis, which became a lifelong pursuit.
He founded the Department of Pathology in the UT School of Medicine in 1966 and served as chair until 1972.
In 1972 he started the Department of Physiology and Medicine at the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, now known as the Texas Biomedical Research Institute, serving as its first chairman and later as first scientific director. He established the baboon colony at the institute because of the similarity of disease processes to that of humans.
He was a fellow of the American Institute of Nutrition and honorary life board member of the American Heart Association, Texas Affiliate.
Dr. McGill and his wife, Cloace, who preceded him in death in 2014, had long owned a home at Canyon Lake and retired there permanently. Dr. McGill was a longtime member of the Lake Canyon Yacht Club and regularly competed in regattas and other races.
A memorial service will be held for Dr. McGill at 5 p.m., March 4, at the Lake Canyon Yacht Club, 180 Yacht Club Dr., Canyon Lake, TX 78133.
Founding faculty video interview with Dr. McGill
The post Dr. Henry McGill, founding faculty member, dies appeared first on UT Health Science Center News.