Our UT Police Department is concerned about your safety on and off the campus. During the holidays, please keep these important safety tips in mind.
- It is best to shop with someone.
- Keep purses, wallets and other personal belongings with you at all times.
- Put cash, credit cards and identification in different pockets.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Never leave children unattended or unsupervised. Inform you children if they do get lost, to find a police officer or cashier.
- When using ATM machines, be aware of your surroundings as people may be watching.
When at home:
- Try not to put your tree at a window displaying all the gifts.
- If hosting a party, hide valuables.
- If going out of town, ask a trusted neighbor to pick up your mail and use an automatic timer for lights.
- With boxes, cut or tear them up after removing the package to not advertise what new presents you have at your home.
- Increase outdoor lighting with floodlights and sensory lights.
- Consider having a dog to deter trespassers.
- Place no trespass signs on fence.
With your vehicle:
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Always make sure doors are locked.
- Use anti-theft devices like an alarm, steering wheel lock or a kill switch.
- Drive with windows closed.
- Keep all valuables hidden.
For more information on how our police department works to keep our campus safe, visit utpolice.uthscsa.edu.
The post Holiday safety tips appeared first on UT Health Science Center News.