Some options for Course Directors:
- Voice over using PowerPoint
- Canvas Conference
- Microsoft Teams
- All staff and instructors are required to complete the online Canvas proficiency exam in order to gain access to courses in Canvas.
- All staff and faculty instructors will need to be given a Canvas role in PeopleSoft Curriculum Management after their training in order to gain access to specific courses.
- Teaching Assistants can only be added as a TA in Canvas by completing the Canvas User Access Request Form.
Please contact Mary Jacks (JACKS@uthscsa.edu) or Anna Dorrycott (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions regarding Canvas access.
Faculty Online Course Instruction:
- Purdue's repository for online teaching and learning
- CUNY's Graduate Center's online teaching portal
- Teaching, a Chronicle weekly newsletter
- "How to Give Your Students Better Feedback With Technology," an advice guide from The Chronicle
- "Online 2.0: How to Lead a Large-Scale Transformation of Virtual Learning," an in-depth Chronicle report. Event attendees can use the promo code FORUM15 to get a 15 percent discount on the purchase of the report.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can Canvas Conference sessions be recorded without inviting students?
Yes, you can record a conference session without inviting student by unchecking “Invite All Course Members” when you create the conference. To share this conference with students later, you must download the recording to your device, then upload it to your canvas course files.
Can students create conference sessions?
Yes, students can create a conference session and invite other students to join the session.
How many conferences can run in a canvas course at once?
Up to four conferences can run in a canvas course simultaneously.
Can a concluded Canvas conference be reactivated?
No, once a session ends it cannot be reopened. A new conference would need to be created.
Can guests be invited to join a Canvas Conference session?
Yes, to invite an external guest navigate to the Public Chat tab and select the link to “Invite a guest to join this meeting.” Copy the link that is presented and share with the invited guest(s). The guest will click the shared link to join.
Can Canvas Conference session be joined via phone?
Yes, to join via phone the conference host will navigate to the Public Chat tab to view the conference phone number and pin number. Share this with the participants who will be joining via phone.
Can the Public Chat in a Canvas Conference session be saved?
Yes. To save the chat select the three dot icon in the top right hand corner of the chat tab. You can choose to copy it and paste it in a Word document, or you can choose to save and it will be saved in a .txt file.
Can I save the list of attendees in a Canvas Conference session?
Yes. To save the list of attendees select Manage Users by navigating to the gear icon next to users. Select “Save user names” to download a list of names to a .txt file.
Can I share notes with the students in a Canvas Conference session?
Yes, you can share notes by selectin Shared Notes in the Public Chat tab. You can copy of paste into Shared Notes. You can also save Shared Notes at the end of the session by exporting the file to a .txt file.
If you have any concerns or issues with any of the online instruction platforms, please contact Tiffany Thompson (ThompsonT4@uthscsa.edu), Alex De Jesus (DeJesusA@uthscsa.edu), or Dr. Timothy Raabe (email@example.com).
- Virtual Conferences
- Canvas Files & Modules
- Canvas Training – Recording
- Additional Canvas Tutorials
- Zoom Tutorials
- Tips for Securing Zoom Meetings
- GoToMeeting Tutorials
- Microsoft Teams
- Canvas User Access Request
- Canvas Respondus Monitor
- Canvas Conference – Guest Presenters
- LockDown Browser & Respondus Monitor Trainings
- Using Microsoft Teams in Canvas
- Canvas Speed Grader
- Canvas Conference Breakout Rooms
- Discussions Redesign
- GSBS Town Hall Zoom Meeting (Aug 11, 2021)