Kathleen R. Stevens, EdD, FAAN, RN, ANEF
Castella Endowed Distinguished Professor, School of Nursing
My funded program of health services research emphasizes identifying, designing, implementing, and evaluating evidence-based quality improvement and patient safety initiatives for healthcare transformation through knowledge translation, workforce preparation and engagement, and evidence-based quality improvement. As a clinically- and academically based translational and implementation scientist, I have led multiple interdisciplinary investigative teams examining academic-clinician partnership, team performance, and workforce issues across multiple projects. A 15-year-long position as founding director of the Academic Center for EBP, a sustained center of excellence, has afforded me broad experiences with multiple projects, sharpening my research and project implementation skills in the national Improvement Science Research Network (an AHRQ-registered PBRN), to lead virtual and local translational science teams from multiple professional fields, including patients and engineering. To achieve project objectives, I have designed and tested a national virtual collaboration infrastructure for improvement science, led R&D efforts to build web-based resources for healthcare innovations, and developed a website to support evaluation of improvement interventions. My leadership in healthcare transformation includes leading practice-based initiatives for the CMS/DSRIP Program, a state-led innovation in the quality and value of care. I have led federally funded national professional workforce development programs in the field of translation for improvement and patient safety. My experience reflects that I am an expert in quality improvement, a seasoned scientist with multiple large-scale grants, an effective planner and group leader, and an author in the field. I have been sought out nationally and internationally to lead projects on EBP, implementation science, interprofessional team science and team-based care, contributing to the advancement of the sciences of implementation and translation.
- Dang, D; Melnyk, BM, Fineout-Overhold, E, Yost, J, Cullen, L, Cvach, M, Larabee, JH, Rycroft-Malone, J, Schultz, AA, Stetler, CB, Stevens KR. Models to Guide Implementation and Sustainability of Evidence-Based Practice In: Melnyk, BM, Fineout-Overhold, E. Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare: A Guide to Best Practice, 4th Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health; 2018.
- Stevens KR. Improvement Science and Team Science: Links to Innovation, Effectiveness, and Safety In: Harris, JL, & Roussel, LA & Thomas, P. Initiating and sustaining the clinical nurse leader role: A practical guide. 3rd Ed.. Jones & Bartlett Publishers; 2018.
- Ciliska, D, DiCenso, A, Melnyk, BM, Fineout-Overhold, E, Stetler, CB, Larrabee, JH. Schultz, AA, Rycroft-Malone, J, Newhouse, RP, Dang, D, & Stevens, KR.. Models to Guide Implementation of Evidence-Based Practice In: Melnyk, BM & Fineout-Overhold, E. Evidence-based Practice in Nursing & Healthcare. A Guide to Best Practice. 4th ed.. Wolters Kluwer; 2018.
- Stevens, KR. Chapter 14: Systematic Reviews In: Foreman, MD, Murphy M, and Staffileno, BA.(Eds). ). Research for Advanced Practice Nurses: From Evidence to Practice. 3rd Ed. Springer Publishers; 2018.
- Stevens KR, Puga F, Patel D. Building Successful Research Collaboratives for Healthcare Improvement: An evidence-based guide San Antonio, TX: University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio; 2012.
- Stevens KR. Essential Competencies for Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing 2nd ed. San Antonio: Academic Center for Evidence-based Practice (ACE) of The University of Texas Health Science Center; 2009. 36 p.
- NURS.5307: Nursing Science II Using courseware to develop coursework on fundamentals of research and evidence-based practice Stevens KR. 2004.
- Stevens KR. Improvement Science Research Network research agenda 2010 Oct. Available from: WWW.ISRN.net
- Stevens KR. Website of the Improvement Science Research Network 2009 Jan.
- Stevens KR. ACE Star Model of EBP: The Cycle of Knowledge Transformation Academic Center for Evidence-based Practice; 2004 Jun.
Peer-reviewed Articles (* indicates Peer Reviewed)
- Stevens KR. Evidence for Evidence-Based Quality Improvement International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare 2011 Mar;9(1):67-68.
- Stevens KR. Guest editor for special issue on evidence-based practice Nursing Outlook 2010 Nov
- Stevens KR, Messmer PR. In Remembrance of Imogene M. King, January 30, 1923 - December 24, 2007: Imogene, a Pioneer and dear colleague. Nursing Outlook 2008;56(3):100-101.
Non-Peer-reviewed Articles (i. e. editorials, news articles, etc.)
- Stevens KR. Letter to the Editor...National Institute of Nursing Research Has Widened the Blue Highway of Translation Research Research and Theory for Nursing Practice 2011;25(3):157-159.
- Stevens KR. Guest editorial: Evidence-Based Practice: Destination or journey? Nurse Outlook 2010 Nov;58(6):273-275.
- Stevens KR. Founding Editor TRIBUTE, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio-School of Nursing Scholarship newsletter 2004
- Stevens KR. Improvement Science Research Network Chicago, IL: 2011 Apr. (Proceedings of the 2nd Annual International Science of Team Science (SciTS) Conference).
- Stevens KR. Creating a National Research Agenda for Improvement Science Bethesda, MD: 2011 Mar. (Proceedings of 4th Annual NIH Conf on the Science, Dissemination & Implementation: Pol & Practice).
- Stevens KR. Creating a National Research Agenda for Improvement Science 2011 Feb. (Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society).
- Stevens KR, Novak JC. Education Implications of a National Research Agenda for Improvement Science San Diego, CA: 2011 Jan. (Proceedings of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Annual Conf on Doctoral Education).
Invited Podium Presentations (i. e. keynotes presentations)
- 2018, Theory and Science of Quality Improvement, CNL Research Symposium, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Anaheim, CA (Keynote Speaker)
- 2017, The EBP Movement, South Louisiana Intercollegiate Nursing Research Day, Connecting Evidence to Nursing Practice: A Call for Action, McNeese Statue University and Consortium, Lake Charles, LA (Keynote Speaker)
- 2017, Heroic Workarounds: Friend or Foe, South Louisiana Intercollegiate Nursing Research Day, Connecting Evidence to Nursing Practice: A Call for Action, McNeese State University and Consortium, Lake Charles, LA (Sole Presenter)
- 2017, Implementation Science in the CTSAs, Translational Science 2017 Conference, Association for Clinical and Translational Science, Washington, DC (Panel)
- 2017, Foundations for Translational, Implementation, and Improvement Science, Annual Research Conference, Southern Nursing Research Society, Dallas, TX (Sole Presenter)
- 2017, Models of Nursing Research in Clinical Settings, Annual Research Conference, Southern Nursing Research Society, Dallas, TX (Panel)
Scroll table right to view more
- 2017 - 2022, Funder: Grant # UL1 TR 001120-04 Dollars: $16,000,000.00. Title: Institute for Integration of Medicine and Science/Clinical and Translational Science Award. Role: Principal Investigator 2% Effort
- 2016 - 2018, Funder: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ ACTION III) Grant # Dollars: $12,349.00. Title: A Patient Specific Approach to Balancing Competing Risks of Hospital Acquired Conditions. Role: Contributor 5% Effort
- 2012 - 2018, Funder: CMS 1115 Waiver Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment. Program (DSRIP) Program Grant # Dollars: $1,503,470.00. Title: Improving Inter-professional Team-Based Care for Patient Safety - Enhance Improvement Capacity within teams DSRIP. Role: Principal Investigator 45% Effort
Scroll table right to view more
||Nursing Informatics Postdoctoral Studies
||University of Utah Salt Lake City, UT
||Trainee (Research Development Traineeship)
||National Institute for Drug Abuse Washington, DC
||Research & Administration in Higher Education
||University of Houston/Baylor College of Medicine Houston, TX
||Maternal Child Health
||Texas Woman's University Houston, TX
||Northwestern State University of Louisiana Natchitoches, LA