Carole White, PhD, RN
Professor, School of Nursing
My program of science is focused on improving outcomes for those with chronic progressive neurological conditions and their family caregivers. I am currently leading the Caring for the Caregiver Program at UT Health San Antonio, School of Nursing. The mission of the program is to support the health and quality of life of families caring for their loved ones with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Through extensive work with the community in identifying the strengths and gaps in care, we have developed a program that is responding to the needs of caregivers in South Texas. Using a community-engaged approach, we are building capacity among community stakeholders including people living with dementia and their family caregivers to conduct patient-centered outcomes for better palliative among people living with dementia. I teach in both the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program and the PhD in Nursing.
Peer-reviewed Articles (*indicates data-based)
- Stevens A, White C, Ory MG, Sanji S. Most caregivers of people with dementia are family members, and they need help 2019 Jan. Available from: . https://theconversation.com/most-caregivers-of-people-with-dementia-are-family-members-and-they-need-help-103503
- White CL. Strategies to Support Engagement are Key to Managing Risk and Preventing Stroke American Heart Association Learning Library; 2014 Oct. Available from: http://my.americanheart.org/professional/ScienceNews/Strategies-to-Support-Engagement-are-Key-to-Managing-Risk-and-Preventing-Stroke_UCM_469081_Article.jsp
- Barton LR, Parke KA, White CL. Screening for the Social and Behavioral Determinants of Health at a School-Based Clinic. Journal of Pediatric Health Care 2019 Mar
- Lee K, Puga P, Pickering CEZ, Masoud SS, White CL. Transitioning into the caregiver role following a diagnosis of Alzheimer‘s disease or related dementia: A scoping review. International Journal of Nursing Studies 2019 Feb
- Mehta T, McClure LA, White CL, Taylor A, Benavente OR, Lakshminarayan K. Effect of Postural Hypotension on Recurrent Stroke: Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes (SPS3) Study Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases 2019;28(8):2124-2131.
- White CL, Cantu A, Motz D, Patterson Michele, Caron JL, Birnbaum LA. Opportunities and Challenges in Secondary Stroke Prevention: A Mixed Methods Study Disability and Rehabilitation 2018 May
- Molidor S, Overbaugh KJ, James D, White CL. Palliative Care and Stroke - An Integrative Review of the Literature Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing 2018;20(4)
- White CL, Overbaugh KJ, Pickering CEZ, Piernik-Yoder B, James D, Patel DI, Puga F, Ford L, Cleveland J. Advancing Care for Family Caregivers of Persons with Dementia through Caregiver and Community Partnerships Research Involvement and Engagement 2018;4(1)
- Overbaugh KJ, Zaragoza G, White CL. The Formation of a Community Academic Partnership to Address Health Disparities and Improve Outcomes for Latino Family Caregivers Living in a Rural Community Issues in Mental Health Nursing 2018;39(8):714-716.
- Ku E, Scherzer R, Odden MC, Shlipak, M, White CL, Field TS, Benavente OR, Pergola PE, Peralta CA. Patterns of blood pressure response during intensive BP lowering and clinical events: results from the secondary prevention of small subcortical strokes trial. Blood Pressure 2017
- Odden MC, McClure LA, Sawaya BP, White CL, Peralta CA, Field TS, Hart RG, Benavente OR, Pergola PE. Achieved Blood Pressure and Outcomes in the Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes Trial. Hypertension 2016;67:63-69.
- Peralta CA, McClure LA, Scherzer R, Odden MC, White CL, Shlipak M, Benavente OR, Pergola PE. The effect of intensive vs. usual blood pressure control on kidney function among persons with prior lacunar stroke: a post-hoc analysis of the SPS3 randomized trial. Circulation 2016;133:584-591.
- White CL, Patel N, Masoud SS, Davila AE, Rivette S, James DL. Multi-stakeholder engagement to build evidence around better palliative care for families living with dementia 2020 Dec. (Alzheimer's Disease International, Singapore).
- Glassner AA, Meyer KN, Rose CJ, Hennessey E, Lewis L, Roberts J, Horne EJ, Rhodes SL, Brackett J, White CL. Promoting Interprofessional Collaboration: A thematic analysis of reciprocal learning through the IPE Learning Skills Together Workshop 2020 May. (2nd Annual Interprofessional Health Showcase).
- Shivers S, Lessem R, Masoud SS, White CL. Preparing and Empowering People Living with Dementia to Engage in Research 2020 Mar. (American Society on Aging Annual Conference, Atlanta).
- Gandy L, Medina A, Hamilton K, Prado P, Santos A, White CL. Tango Together: Developing and Implementing Dance Workshops in a Memory Care Center 2020 Feb. (Annual Community Service Learning (CSL) Conference, San Antonio).
- Masoud S, White CL. Caring for the Caregiver: A program model of support and education for family caregivers of people living with dementia. 2019 Nov. (American Public Health Association 2019, Philadelphia).
- White CL, Brackett JR, Masoud SS. Supporting Families with Dementia through Community Engagement Models 2019 Aug. (Quality in Long-Term Care Conference 2019, Georgetown, Texas).
- Du Y, Paiva K, Cebula A, Kim S, Lopez K, Li C, White CL, Seshadri S, Wang J. Diabetes Related Topics in a Connected Online Forum for Caregivers of Alzheimer's Disease or Related Dementias: A Qualitative Inquiry. 2019 Jun. (5th Annual SAMHS and Universities Research Forum, San Antonio).
- Brackett J, James DL, Masoud S, White CL. Partnering With the Community to Support Family Caregivers: The Caring for the Caregiver Program 2019 Apr. (American Society on Aging, New Orleans, April 15 to 18, 2019).
- Overbaugh KJ, Molidor S, White CL, James DL. Palliative Care and Stroke: An Integrative Review of the Literature 2018 Feb. p. P678-P679. (Journal of Pain and Symptom Management; vol. 55, no. 2).
- Pickering, PhD, MS, BSN CE, Overbaugh, PhD, MSN, BSN KJ, Piernik-Yoder B, Puga F, James, MSN, RN, CCRN-K DL, Patel, PhD DI, Ford, PhD, MA, MSN, RN LA, White, PhD, RN CL. Developing the Caring for the Caregiver Program for the San Antonio Dementia Community 2017. p. S183. (Journal of the American Geriatrics Society).
- Ku E, Scherzer R, Odden M, Shlipak M, White CL, Benavente OR, Pergola PE, Peralta CA. Patterns of Blood Pressure Change during Intensive Blood Pressure Lowerin in the Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes (SPS3) Trial 2016 Nov. (Abstract presented at American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week, Chicago, Ill).
- Larrotta D, Garcia A, White CL. An Examination of Evidenced-Based Interventions for Family Caregivers of Persons with Alzheimer’s Disease and other Dementias 2016 Sep. (Presented at Conference for Community Engagement and Healthcare Improvement, San Antonio, TX).
- White CL, Ihegword B, Patterson M, Motz D, Williamson R, Caron J, Birnbaum LA. Feasibility Testing of mHealth for brainHealth: a Mobile Intervention to Support Secondary Stroke Prevention 2016. p. AWP382. (Stroke; vol. 47).
- White CL, Patterson M, Motz D, Williamson R, Caron J, Birnbaum LA. Stroke Survivors’ Perceptions about Risk Factor Management: Challenges and Opportunities 2016. p. ATP412. (Stroke; vol. 47).
- Field TS, Pearce LA, Wardlaw JM, Doubal FN, Bazan C, Shoamanesh A, Ohba H, Catanese L, McClure LA, White CL, Hart RG, Benavente OR. Prediction of recurrent stroke in lacunar stroke patients: Performance of Small Vessel Disease (SVD) score in SPS3 Trial 2016. p. AWP166. (Stroke; vol. 47).
- White CL, Finch L, Wood-Dauphinee S, Mayo N. A Mixed Methods Approach to Improve a Measure of Quality of Life for Family Caregivers of Stroke Survivors 2016. p. 68. (Quality of Life Research; vol. 25, no. 304.1).
Invited Podium Presentations (i. e. keynotes presentations)
- 2020, COPE: A Program of Support for Families Living with Dementia, South Texas Alzheimer's Conference, UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX (Co-Presenter)
- 2019, A Community Academic Partnership to Understand Needs and Improve Support for Rural Latino Family Caregivers, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing Biennial Conference, Washington, MD (Co-Presenter)
- 2019, Considerations for Caring for the Elderly, Aging and Dementia Symposium, Physician Leadership San Antonio, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2019, Caring for Families with Dementia Across the Continuum of Care, AMSN San Antonio Chapter, Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2019, The Power of Music for Families Living with Dementia, The Healing Power of Music, Sigma Alpha Iota, Theta Gamma, Department of Music, UTSA, San Antonio, TN (Keynote Speaker)
- 2019, Caring for the Caregiver: A Community-Engaged Model of Support, Neuroscience Research Seminar Series, UT Health RioGrande Valley, Harlingen, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2019, Caring for the Care Givers Symposium, SAMHS and Universities Research Forum, UT Health San Antonio, UTSA, Military, San Antonio, TX (Panel)
- 2019, Family Caregiving: A Public Health Crisis, Council for Excellence in Women’s Health, UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2018, Family Caregiving" Caring for the Caregiver, American Parkinson Disease Association Texas Chapter Conference, American Parkinson Disease Association Texas Chapter Conference, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2018, Caring for Persons with Dementia and their Families, Annual Geriatrics Conference, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2018, Caring for Persons with Dementia, South Texas Family Medicine Grand Rounds, San Antonio, TX (Co-Presenter)
- 2017, Palliative Care in Stroke: A Review of the Literature, Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association Annual Meeting, Philidelphia, PA (Co-Author)
- 2017, CARES: A Rural Community Partnership to Address the Health of Family Caregivers, 2017 Community Engagement Symposium, Institute for Integration of Medicine and Science, San Antonio, TX (Co-Presenter)
- 2017, Setting a Caregiver Research Agenda, Community Engagement and Healthcare Improvement, School of Nursing, UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio, TX (Panel)
- 2017, Caring for the Caregiver Program, Baptist Health Foundation, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2017, Advancing Care for Family Caregivers of Persons with Dementia: Community and Caregiver Partnerships, SURF 2017 San Antonio Military Health System & Universities Research Forum, UT Health San Antonio and UTSA, San Antonio, TX (Sole Presenter)
- 2017, New Paradigms in Caregiving: Healthcare Needs, Capacity, and Policy, SURF 2017 San Antonio Military Health System & Universities Research Forum, UT Health San Antonio and UTSA, San Antonio, TX (Panel)
- 2017, Caregiver Stress: Updates and Management, Innovation to Improve Health and Health Systems, Philippine Nurses Association of San Antonio, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2017, Caring for the Caregiver Program, Nursing Advisory Council Development Committee, San Antonio, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2017, Alzheimer's Disease - An Overview of Diagnosis and Management, Maranatha Caregiver's Support Group, Floresville, TX (Invited Speaker)
- 2017, CARES: A Community Project to Support Family Caregivers, Pearsall Rotary Club, Pearsall, TX (Invited Speaker)
Scroll table right to view more
- 2020 – 2021, Funder: NIA (Emory Pilot Intervention Grants). Title: A pilot evaluation of Learning Skills Together. Role: Co-Principal Investigator
- 2020 – 2021, Funder: UT Health San Antonio, IIMS Community Engagement Small Project Grants program. Title: Community Academic Partnership to Support Families Living with Dementia
- 2020 – 2021, Funder: Nursing Advisory Council, UT Health School of Nursing. Title: Changes in Social Support Among Family Caregivers and the Association with Pre-clinical Markers of Health. Role: Co-Principal Investigator
- 2018 – 2021, Funder: Administration for Community Living. Dollars: $551,855.00. Title: Community of Dementia Excellence: Successfully Aging and Living in San Antonio (CODE SALSA). Role: Co-Principal Investigator
- 2019 – 2020, Funder: Linking Interprofessional Networks for Collaboration. Dollars: $3,480.00.Title: We Care: Learning Together to Support Family Caregivers. Role: Principal Investigator
- 2018 – 2020, Funder: PCORI. Grant # 164327. Dollars: $250,000.00. Title: A Stakeholder Alliance for Better Palliative Care for People with Dementia and their Family Caregivers. Role: Principal Investigator
- 2018 – 2019, Funder: Barker Foundation. Dollars: $100,000.00. Title: Caring for the Caregiver Program. Role: Co-Principal Investigator
- 2017 – 2019, Funder: Sigma Theta Tau International. Dollars: $19,992.00. Title: A knowledge translation project to create a dementia friendly acute care hospital. Role: Principal Investigator
- 2017 – 2018, Funder: Nursing Advisory Council. Dollars: $9,111.00. Title: Supporting Care Role Transition Following Dementia Diagnosis Disclosure. Role: Co-Principal Investigator
- 2016 – 2017, Funder: IIMS Community Engagement Small Project Grants. Dollars: $5,000.00. Title: CARE: A Rural Community Partnership to Address the Health of Family Caregivers. Role: Co-Principal Investigator
- 2015 – 2017, Funder: The Nancy Smith Hurd Foundation. Grant #165472. Dollars: $200,000.00. Title: Caring for the Caregiver Center Grant. Role: Principal Investigator
- 2016 – 2016, Funder: San Antonio Area Foundation. Dollars: $15,000.00. Title: Caring for the Caregiver Center: Community Engagement. Role: Principal Investigator
- 2013 – 2015, Funder: School of Nursing - Dean‘s Catalyst Award. Dollars: $20,000.00. Title: A User-Centered Design Approach to the Development and Feasibility Testing of a Multimodal Mobile Intervention for Stroke Survivors and their Family Caregivers. Role: Principal Investigator
Scroll table right to view more
||Epidemiology & Biostatistics
||McGill University Montreal, Canada
||Nursing (Dean's Honor Roll)
||McGill University Montreal, Canada
||Nursing (Graduated with Distinction)
||University of Saskatchewan Saskatoon, Canada
||Foothills Hospital Calgary, Canada