Journal Articles (Peer Reviewed, *indicates data-based)
- *Sowan AK, Staggers N, et al. Improving the safety, effectiveness, and efficiency of clinical alarm systems: Simulation-based usability testing of physiologic monitors. JMIR Nursing 2021;4(1):e20584.
- Philips J, Sowan A, Ruppel H, Magness R. Educational program for physiologic monitor use and alarm systems safety: A toolkit. Clinical Nurse Specialists Journal 2020;34(2):50-62.
- *Sowan AK. Nurses‘ perceptions of a care plan and documentation IT solution with hundreds of clinical practice guidelines in adult intensive care units. JMIR Human Factors 2019 Feb;12(6):e11846.
- *Sowan AK, et al. Transcription errors of blood glucose values and insulin errors in an intensive care unit: Toward electronic medical record-glucometer interoperability. JMIR Medical Informatics Research 2019 Feb;7(1):e11873.
- *Sowan AK, Beraya AR, Carrola A, Reed CC, Matthews SV, Moodley T. Developing, implementing, and evaluating a multimedia patient decision aid program to reform the informed consent process of a peripherally inserted central venous catheter procedure: Protocol for quality improvement. JMIR Res Protoc. 2018 Dec;7(12):e10709.
- Chen Q, Sowan AK, Xu S. A safety and security architecture for reducing accidents in intelligent transportation systems ICCAD 18 Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer-Aided Design 2018 Nov;(85).
- *Sowan AK, Beraya AR, Carrola A, Reed C. Effect of a multimedia patient decision aid to supplement the informed consent process of a peripherally inserted central venous catheter procedure. JMIR Medical Informatics 2018 Oct;6(4):e11056.
- Sowan AK, Reed C, Staggers N. Role of large clinical datasets from physiologic monitors in improving the safety of clinical alarm systems and methodological considerations: A case from Philips monitors. JMIR Human Factors 2016 Sep;3(2):e24.
- *Sowan AK, Vera A, Fonseca E, Reed C, Tarriela A, Berndt A. Nurse competence on cardiac monitors’ use: Toward eliminating alarm fatigue in intensive care units. Online Journal of Informatics 2016 Aug;11:1-11.
- *Sowan AK, Gomez TM, Tarriela AF, Reed CC, Paper BM. Changes in default alarms settings and standard in-service are insufficient to improve alarm fatigue in an intensive care unit: A pilot project. JMIR Human Factors 2016;3(1):e1.
- Sowan AK. Applying IT-related business process reengineering in an informatics course for graduate nursing programs. Archives of Nursing Practice and Care 2016;1(1):16-24.
Published Abstracts (All Peer Reviewed)
- Alvare M, Sowan AK, et al. Effectiveness of simulation-based training on respiratory therapists’ confidence in managing intubated patients undergoing hyperbaric oxygen therapy and skills’ attainment and retention. CHEST; 2018, Oct. p. 1053A.
- Sowan AK, Reed C, Tarriela A, Leibas M. Lee H. Reasons for inappropriate use of a nursing care plan system with 100s practice guidelines in ICUs. Critical Care Medicine; 2018, Feb 46(1) p. 617.
- Sowan AK, Staggers N, Reed C, Vera A, Fonseca E. Usability testing of physiologic monitors: Guiding initiatives on improving clinical alarm safety. Critical Care Medicine; 2018, Feb 46(1) p. 576.
- Sowan AK, Vera A, Fonseca E, Paccione C, Payne M, Reed C, Colon-Lugo H. Transcription and documentation errors in blood glucose values in an adult surgical trauma ICU. Critical Care Medicine; 2018, Feb 46(1). p. 616.
- Sowan AK, Reed C, Tarriela AF, Gomez TM. Flaws in clinical alarm safety studies: The value of mixed methods and objective alarm data. Critical Care Medicine; 2015, Dec 43(12) p. 206.
Book Chapter (Peer-reviewed)
- Sowan AK. Teaching Nursing Research In: Nursing Education Encyclopedia. NY: Springer Publishing Company; 2015. Invited Author.
- Sowan AK, Reed CC. A complex phenomenon in complex adaptive health care systems—Alarm fatigue. JAMA Pediatrics 2016 Dec;171(6):515-516. Invited Author.
Work Featured by National Organizations
Other (Non-peer reviewed publications)
- Badgett R, Sowan AK, Winker M, Alper B. Submitted a Request for Information (RFI): “Strategic Opportunities and Challenges for the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health”. 10/2020.
- Sowan AK. Top on patient safety list: Do not turn off that beep. Atlas of Science 2016 Sep.
Podium and Poster Presentations:
- Fichter-Patrick P, Sowan A. et al. An innovative, parent-centered, multifaceted intervention program to reduce CLABSI in a neonatal intensive care unit. 2019 May. Academy of Neonatal Nursing conference, Palm Springs, CA. Mentor for a DNP student
- * Fichter-Patrick P, Sowan A. et al. A Multifaceted interventional program to reduce central line associated bloodstream infections and engage parents in a neonatal Intensive care unit. 2019 October. Annual Quality Congress, Vermont Oxford Network, Chicago, IL. Mentor for a DNP student
- Golightly-Jenkins, C. & Sowan, A. Innovative teaching strategies for leadership preparation in nursing. Match 2018. Academic and Business Research Institute International Conference, SA, TX.
- Sowan AK, Golightly-Jenkins K, Hong J, Lee S. Innovative teaching strategies for leadership preparation in nursing. Sept 2017. Fall Education Showcase with Academy of Master Teachers Induction Ceremony, SA, TX. Mentor for master students
- Sowan AK. Student-centered group projects: Promoting learning autonomy in higher education. Sept 2017. Fall Education Showcase with Academy of Master Teachers Induction Ceremony, SA, TX
- Elledge C, Rush R, Sowan A. A quality improvement initiative to increase pneumococcal vaccination rate following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. May 2017. Oncology Nursing Society 42nd Annual Congress, Denver, CO. Mentor for a DNP student
- Sowan AK. Achieving QSEN’s informatics, quality, safety, and evidence-based competencies in an informatics course for graduate nursing students. May 2016. National Forum QSEN Conference: The New Frontier: Forging Partnerships for Lifelong Learning in Quality and Safety, SA, TX.
- Sowan AK. Effectiveness and efficiency in nursing education: Success factors for teaching an informatics course across three graduate programs. May 2016. QSEN National Forum: The New Frontier: Forging Partnerships for Lifelong Learning in Quality and Safety, SA, TX.
- Sowan AK. Nursing informatics: Advances and leadership roles. April 2016. The Philippine Nurses Association of San Antonio (PNASA), SA, TX (Invited Speaker).
- Sowan AK, Reed C, Tarriela A, Gomez T. Flaws in clinical alarm safety studies: The value of mixed methods and objective alarm data. Feb 2016. Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) 45th Critical Care Congress, Orlando, FL.