Jing Wang, Ph.D, MPH, RN, FAAN
Vice Dean for Research and Professor, School of Nursing
Jing Wang, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN is the Hugh Roy Cullen Professor and Vice Dean for Research at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio School of Nursing. She is also the Founding Director of an interprofessional Center on Smart and Connected Health Technologies that features an aging in place lab, South Texas Connected Health Living Lab, and telehealth training and simulation. Her research uses mobile and connected technology to optimize behavioral lifestyle interventions and improve patient-centered outcomes in chronically ill and aging populations, especially among the underserved and minority populations. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing, 2013 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholar, 2015 TEDMED Scholar, and 2016 Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation Macy Faculty Scholar. She is also the editor-in-chief of JMIR Aging.
National Standards or Publications
- Beck J, Greenwood DA, Blanton L, Bollinger ST, Butcher MK, Condon JE, Cypress M, Faulkner P, Fischl AH, Francis T, Kolb LE, Lavin-Tompkins JM, MacLeod J, Maryniuk M, Mensing C, Orzeck EA, Pope DD, Pulizzi JL, Reed AA, Rhinehart AS, Siminerio L, Wang J; 2017 Standards Revision Task Force. 2017 National Standards for Diabetes Self-management Education and Support. Diabetes Care. 2017. doi: 10.2337/dci17-0025. Diabetes Educ. 2017 Jul 1:145721717722968. doi: 10.1177/0145721717722968.
- King F, Klonoff DC, Cruz M, Ahn D, Adi S, Bian J, Drincic A, Hey M, Magee M, Mulvaney S, Pavlovic Y, Prahalad P, Ryan M, Sabharwal A, Shah S, Spanakis E, Thompson BM, Thompson M, Wang J. DTS FDA Precertification Program Summit for Software as a Medical Device Report. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. 2019. Jan;13(1):128-139.
Peer Reviewed Publications (*Data-based)
- *Jiwani R, Dennis B, Bess C, Monk S, Meyer K, Wang J, Espinoza S. Assessing acceptability and patient experience of a behavioral lifestyle intervention using fitbit technology in older adults to manage type 2 diabetes amid COVID-19 pandemic: A focus group study. Geriatr Nurs. 2021 Jan-Feb;42(1):57-64.
- *Su, Z., McDonnell, D., Liang, B., Kue, J., Li, X., Šegalo, S., Advani, S., Flores, B., & Wang, J. Technology-based health solutions for cancer caregivers to better shoulder the impact of COVID-19: a systematic review protocol. Syst Rev, 10, 43 (2021).
- *Myneni S, Lewis B, Singh T, Paiva K, Kim SM, Cebula AV, Villanueva G, Wang J. Diabetes Self-Management in the Age of Social Media: Large-Scale Analysis of Peer Interactions Using Semiautomated Methods. JMIR Med Inform. 2020 Jun 30;8(6):e18441.
- Singh, T., Roberts, K., Cohen, T., Cobb, N., Wang, J., Fujimoto, K., & Myneni, S. (2020). Social Media as a Research Tool (SMaaRT) for Risky Behavior Analytics: Methodological Review. JMIR public health and surveillance, 6(4), e21660.
- *Jiwani R, Wang CP, Orsak B, MacCarthy D, Kellogg D, Powers B, Wang J, Padala P, Padala K, Espinoza S. A geriatrics walking clinic improves hemoglobin A1c and time gait in veterans with type 2 diabetes. Geriatr Nurs. 2020 Nov 3:S0197-4572(20)30301-3. PMID: 33158625.
- Cancino R, Su Z, Mesa R, Tomlinson G, Wang J. The Impact of COVID-19 on Cancer-Screening: Challenges and Opportunities. JMIR Cancer. 2020. doi: 10.2196/21697. PMID: 33027039.
- *Du Y, Dennis B, Rhodes S, Sia M, Ko J, Jiwani R, Wang J. Technology Assisted Self-Monitoring of Lifestyle Behaviors and Health Indicators in Diabetes: A Qualitative Evaluation. JMIR Diabetes 2020;5(3):e21183. DOI:10.2196/21183.
- *Jiwani R, Wang J, Berndt A, Ramaswamy P, Mathew Joseph N, Du Y, Ko J, Espinoza S. Changes in Patient-Reported Outcome Measures With a Technology-Supported Behavioral Lifestyle Intervention Among Patients With Type 2 Diabetes: Pilot Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. JMIR Diabetes 2020;5(3):e19268. DOI: 10.2196/19268.
- *Du Y, Paiva K, Cebula A, Kim S, Lopez K, Li C, White C, Myneni S, Seshadri S, Wang J. Diabetes-Related Topics in an Online Forum for Caregivers of Individuals Living With Alzheimer Disease and Related Dementias: Qualitative Inquiry. J Med Internet Res 2020;22(7):e17851. DOI: 10.2196/17851.
- *Faruqui S, Alaeddini A, Chang C, Shirinkam S, Jaramillo C, Rad P, Wang J, Pugh MJ. Summarizing Complex Graphical Models of Multiple Chronic Conditions Interactions using the 2nd Eigenvalue of Graph Laplacian. JMIR Med Inform 2020;8(6):e16372. DOI: 10.2196/16372.
- *Sittig S, Wang J, Iyengar S, Myneni S, Franklin A. Incorporating Behavioral Trigger Messages Into a Mobile Health App for Chronic Disease Management: Randomized Clinical Feasibility Trial in Diabetes. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2020;8(3):e15927. DOI: 10.2196/15927.
- *Yin Z, Lesser J, Paiva KA, Zapata J Jr, Moreno-Vasquez A, Grigsby TJ, Ryan-Pettes S, Parra-Medina D, Estrada V, Li S, Wang J. Using mHealth Tools to Engage Rural Underserved Residents in a Diabetes Education Program in South Texas. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2020;8(3):e16683. DOI:10.2196/16683.
- *Liu, T., Lee, J. E., Wang, J., Ge, S., & Li, C. Cognitive dysfunction in persons with type 2 diabetes mellitus: A concept analysis. Clinical Nursing Research. 2020; 29, 339-351. doi: 10.1177/1054773819862973
- Ramaswamy, P., Joseph, NM., Wang, J. Health Beliefs Regarding Cardiovascular Disease Risk and Risk Reduction in South Asian Immigrants: An Integrative Review. J Transcult Nurs. 2020 Jan;31(1):76-86.
Peer Reviewed Abstracts
- *Wang, J., Siminerio, L.M., Chu, C., Coleman, D. Patient and Educator Engagement in Developing a Connected System Linking Mobile-based Diet and Activity Self-Monitoring Data with Electronic Diabetes Education System for Behavioral Goal Monitoring. Diabetes, 65(Suppl 1), A564, 2016.
- *Wang, J., Coleman, D., Cron, S., Chu, C. Implementing a Multiple-Behavior Self-Monitoring Intervention in Diabetes Education: Effect on Patient Outcomes. Diabetes, 65(Suppl 1), A169, 2016.
- Wang, J. Incorporating Patient-Generated Health Data Into Electronic Health Records for Obesity Care. The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Team Approach to Obesity Prevention and Treatment Symposium, April, 2018.
- Wang, J. Translating evidence-based behavioral lifestyle intervention into clinical care through the use of mobile and connected health technologies. The Philippine Nurses Association of San Antonio (PNASA) Annual Conference, April, 2018.
- *Wang, J., Padhye, N. S., Li, C., Siminerio, L. Translating Evidence-Based Self-Monitoring Diet and Physical Activity Intervention into Diabetes Education Practice: A 3-Month Multi-Site Randomized Feasibility Trial. Poster presentation at the 2018 Annual Meeting of the International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, Hong Kong, June, 2018.
- *Padhye, N. S., Wang, J. Effect of Self-Monitoring Clusters on Weight and Hemoglobin A1c. The 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society, Aug. 2016.
- *Wang, J., Carroll, D., Peck, M., Myneni, S., Gong, Y. Mobile and Wearable Technology Needs for Aging in Place: Perspectives from Older Adults and Their Caregivers and Providers. Podium Presentation. NI 2016-13th International Congress in Nursing Informatics, Geneva, Jun. 2016.
- *Wang, J., Ramaswamy, P., Chengdong, L., Lewis, B., Siminerio, L. Usability Evaluation of a Connected System to Link Patient Reported Lifestyle Data into Electronic Health Records for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support: A 2-Week Pilot Study. 2018 Diabetes Technology Society Conference, Bethesda, MD, Nov. 2018.
- Wang, J., Zolezzi, M., Lopez, J., Mitchell-Bennett, L., Lombardo, A., Sanchez, P., Valerio, M., Reininger, B. Use of Connected Information Technology in A Community Clinical Collaborative Care Model for Uninsured Mexican American Patients with Uncontrolled Diabetes: Lessons Learned. 2018 Diabetes Technology Society Conference, Bethesda, MD, Nov. 2018.
- *Wang, J., Lewis, B., Siminerio, L. Patient Experience Connecting Mobile-Based Self-Monitoring of Diet and Physical Activity to Diabetes Educators through a Connected Interface in an Electronic System for Diabetes Education. iproc 2018;4(2):e11905. DOI: 10.2196/11905. Connected Health Conference, Boston, MA, Oct. 2018.
- *Alaeddini, A., Faruqui, S., Wang, J. Using Machine Learning Methods for Dynamic Forecasting and Control of Type 2 Diabetes Using Mobile-Based Health Lifestyle Data. 2018 Diabetes Technology Society Conference, Bethesda, MD, Nov. 2018.
- *Du Y, Xu Q, Wang J. (2019). Health Information’s Impact on Osteoporosis Self-management Behaviors in Older White and Asian Women. Oral presentation accepted to present at Gerontological Society of American 73th Annual Scientific Meeting, Austin, TX, November 13– 17, 2019.
- *Du, Y, Brittney L, Lopez K, Li C, White C, Seshadri S, Wang J. (2019). Developing a Comprehensive Model for Improving Quality of Life in Individuals with ADRD and Their Informal Caregivers: Qualitative Study of ALZ Forum Data. Poster presentation accepted for present at the 2019 Connected Health Conference, Boston, MA, October 16-18, 2019.
- *Dennis, B., Ko, J., Cebula, A., Du, Y., Lewis, B., Villanueva, G., Meyer, K., Wang, J. Hypertension Related Topics in an Online Community for Caregivers of Individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias (ADRD): A Qualitative Inquiry. 2nd Annual South Texas Alzheimer’s Conference, San Antonio, TX, Feb. 2020.
- *Wang, J., Myneni, S., Swails, J., Shegog R., Walji M., Ramaswamy, P., Chu C., Fay, V., Ownby, A., Gong, Y., Dyer, C. Developing an Interprofessional Curriculum on Mobile and Connected health technologies: Results from Needs Analysis. Poster presentation at the 2019 Innovations in Health Science Education Annual Conference of The University of Texas System Kenneth I. Shine, M.D., Academy of Health Science Education, Austin, TX, Feb. 2019.
- Wang, J., Chu, C., D’Souza, K., Misra, A., Taylor, A., Ottosen, M. Best Practices of Patient Engagement for Interprofessional Education: A Systematic Scoping Review. Poster presentation at the 2019 Innovations in Health Science Education Annual Conference of The University of Texas System Kenneth I. Shine, M.D., Academy of Health Science Education, Austin, TX, Feb. 2019.
- *Du Y, Ko J, Wu S, Rhodes S, Wang J. (2019) The Relationship of Cognitive Function with Diabetes Management in Mexican Americans. Poster presentation at the 7th Annual San Antonio Postdocotoral Research Forum, San Antonio, TX, September 19, 2019.
- *Faruqui, S., Meka, R., Alaeddini, A., Du, Y., Li, C., Shirinka, S., Wang, J. (2019) Dynamic Forecasting of Blood Glucose Level for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Using Mobile-Based Health Lifestyle Data. Oral presentation at the 5th Annual SAMHS and Universities Research Forum, San Antonio, TX, June 13-14, 2019.
- *Du, Y., Paiva, K., Cebula, A., Kim, S., Lopez, K., Li, C., White, C., Seshadri, S., Wang, J. (2019). Diabetes Related Topics in a Connected Online Forum for Caregivers of Alzheimer’s Disease or Related Dementias: A Qualitative Inquiry. Poster presentation at the 5th Annual SAMHS and Universities Research Forum, San Antonio, TX, June 13-14, 2019.
- *Du, Y., Paiva, K., Cebula, A., Kim, S., Lopez, K., Li, C., White, C., Seshadri, S., Wang, J. (2019). Informal caregivers’ discussion topics on diabetes management in persons with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias: a qualitative analysis of forum data. Poster presentation at the South Texas Alzheimer’s Conference, San Antonio, TX, February 25-26, 2019.
Scroll table right to view more
- PLPP3 as a novel therapeutic target for Diabetic Kidney Disease, UT Health San Antonio Department of Medicine Clinical & Innovative Therapeutics Award Pilot Program. $20,000, Co-Investigator, Mar. 2020-Feb. 2021
- Center on Smart and Connected Health Technologies, funded by UT Health San Antonio, Principal Investigator, $750,000, May. 2018-Aug. 2021.
- Supporting High-Risk Seniors Navigate Telehealth by Using a Community Health Worker Model and Remote Monitoring Devices. Funded by the Nancy Smith Hurd Foundation. Co-Investigator, $110,000, Nov. 2020-Oct. 2021.
- Providing Health Monitoring Devices for Vulnerable Patients and Caregivers Navigating Telehealth. Funded by the San Antonio Area Foundation. Principal Investigator, $25,000, Jul. 2020-Aug. 2020.
- Feasibility testing a randomized controlled trial of an mHealth-enhanced exercise program to improve cognition for T2DM patients. (PI: Liu). Funded by the Arkansas Biosciences Institute. Co-Investigator. $64,485, Jul. 2020-May. 2021.
- Feasibility Testing a Randomized Controlled Trial of an Exercise Program to Improve Cognition for T2DM Patients. (PI: Liu). Funded by NIH R15. Consultant. $446,268, Sept. 2020-May. 2023.
- Aging and Health Informatics Conference. (PI: Xie). Funded by NIH/NIA R13. $49,552. Aug. 2020-Jul. 2021. Conference Program Committee.
- Precision Metabolic and Molecular Mechanisms (Metabolomics and Mitochondrial Function) of Low Carbohydrate and Ketogenic Diet. (PI: Sharma). Funded by 80/20 Foundation. Co-Principal Investigator, $500,000, Jan. 2020-Dec. 2021.
- Pragmatics to Prevention Intention in Social Media (PRISM) for Health Promotion. (PI: Myneni). Funded by the NIH R01. Co-investigator, $1,402,073, Jul. 2019-Jun. 2023.
Scroll table right to view more
- 2017 - Postdoctoral Training - Leadership - UT Health Houston
- 2017 - Postdoctoral Training - Public Health - Harvard Macy Institute
- 2015 - Postdoctoral Training - Nursing Education - Gulf Coast Tx Team Regional Grant
- 2011 - Postdoctoral Training - Clinical and Translational Science - Univeristy of Pittsburg
- 2011 - Postdoctoral Training - Clinical Trials - National Institutes of Health
- 2011 - Postdoctoral Training - Mobile Health - National Institutes of Health
- 2010 - Master of Science - Public Health - Univeristy of Pittsburg
- 2010 - Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing - Univeristy of Pittsburg
- 2010 - Doctor of Philosophy - Nursing - Univeristy of Pittsburg
- 2005 - Bachelor of Science - Nursing - Jiangxi Medical College