Kyungeh An, PhD, RN, FAHA
Professor, Director of Ph.D. Program, School of Nursing
As a dedicated educator and an accomplished researcher for more than two decades, I have offered my values and expertise to academic programs and scientific societies to advance Nursing Science and improve people's lives through education, scholarship, and leadership.
My program of research focuses on the prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in vulnerable populations. With the overarching goals of advancing science, I have progressively expanded my research over two decades. Early studies focused on understanding the psycho-socio-behavioral factors that interplay in ideology and progression of CVD. I learned that psychosocial and environmental factors impact people's health. Further, the impact is more significant in vulnerable populations. This relationship's mechanisms became clearer by measuring the salivary concentration of the endothelial inflammatory cytokines and atherogenic proteins among hurricane survivors exposed to chronic stress.
Subsequent studies found that physical activity can modify the disruptive relationship between stress and cardiometabolic health. As an interdisciplinary team consisted of cardiologists, oncologists, behavioral psychologists, statisticians, and data-specialists, we have developed an intervention to address CVD mortality in cancer survivors with specific attention to underserved women cancer survivors. Our work will inform clinicians and provided them with tools to evaluate cardiometabolic risks and practice preventive interventions for their patients.
Peer-reviewed Articles (*indicates data-based)
- Ahn, H., Jackson, N., An, K., Fillingim, R.B., Miao, H., Lee, M., Ko, J., Galle, K., & Lee, M.A. (2020). Relationship between acculturative stress and pain catastrophizing in Korean Americans. J Immigr Minor Health. 2020 Sep 11. doi: 10.1007/s10903-020-01083-6. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32915374.
- Ahn, H.B., Jula, M., Chung, J.M., Miao, H., Zhong, C., Kim, M., An, K., Lyon, D., Fillingim, R. (2019). The Relationship between Beta-Endorphin and Experimental Pain Sensitivity in Older Adults with Knee Osteoarthritis. Biological Research for Nursing. Accepted 12-6-2018.
- Ghadban, R., Haddad, L., Thacker, R.L. 2nd, An, K., Balster, R.L., and Salyer, J. (2019). Smoking behaviors in Arab Americans: Acculturation and health beliefs. J Transcult Nurs 30 (2): 115-123. doi: 10.1177/1043659618783235.
- American Heart Association News Brief. Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. Stroke Risk among Post-menopausal Breast-Cancer Survivors. https://newsroom.heart.org/news/stroke-risk-factors-increase-among-breast-cancer-survivors?preview=0e29
- Daisy Foundation. https://www.daisyfoundation.org/faculty-awards/honorees/kyungeh-an
- 5 Nursing Research Projects Exemplify a Greater Goal https://resources.nurse.com/daisy-recognition-5-nursing-research-projects
- An, K., Starkweather, A., Sturgill, J., Salyer, J., and Sterling, RK. (2019). Association of CTRP13 with liver enzymes and cognitive symptoms in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Nursing Research: Jan/Feb 68 (1), 29-38. doi: 10.1097/NNR.0000000000000319.
- Shin, C-N, Keller, C., Sim, J., An, K. (2018). Cardiovascular Disease in Korean Americans: A systematic review. The Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 33 (1), 82-93.
- Lee, M., Shin, CN, An, K. (2018). The Trustworthiness, Readability, and Suitability of Web-based Information for Stroke Prevention and Self-Management. Interactive Journal of Medical Research. 2018 Jul 20;7(2):e10440. doi: 10.2196/10440.
- Shin, C.N., Todd, M., An, K, Kim, W.S. (2017). Unidimensional and Bidimensional Approaches to Measuring Acculturation. Journal of Nursing Measurement. 25 (2), 370-384. https://doi.org/10.1891/1061-37188.8.131.520
- Sim, J., Shin, C-N., An, K., & Todd, M. (2016). Factors associated with the hospital arrival time in patients with ischemic stroke in Korea. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 31(5), E10-6. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000313.
- Shin, C.H., Sin, M.K., Lee, E., Lee, J., An, K., and Sim, J. (2016). Anxiety and Depression One Month after Stroke. Asian Pacific Island Nursing Journal, 1 (3), 82-90. (published 9/23/16)
- Ghadban R, Haddad L, An K, Thacker LR & Salyer J (2016). Smoking Behavior in Arab Americans: A Systematic Review, Journal of Community Medicine and Health Education, 6 (4), 462. doi:10.4172/2161-0711.1000462
- Lee, H.J., Park, H.J., Starkweather, A., An, K., and Shim, I. (2016). Decreased Interleukin-4 Release from the Neurons of the Locus Coeruleus in Response to Immobilization Stress. Mediators of inflammation. 2016/3501905">2016/3501905">2016/3501905.%C2%A0">http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/3501905. Epub 2016 Jan 19.
- An, K., Salyer, J., Brown, R. E., Kao, H. S., Starkweather, A., & Shim, I. (2016). Salivary Biomarkers of Chronic Psychosocial Stress and CVD Risks: A Systematic Review. Biological Research for Nursing, 18(3), 241-63. doi: 10.1177/1099800415604437. Epub 2015 Sep 7.
- Obesity, Cancer, and Cardiovascular Diseases. East-Carolina University, School of Nursing, Distinguished Scholar Lectureship, April 2019.
- Addressing cardiometabolic risks among cancer survivors. School of Nursing Research Council, April 2018.
- Biobehavioral Research in Rehabilitation Nursing. Chinese National Congress of Rehabilitation and Nursing, Nanning Conference Center, Nanning China, July 14-17, 2017.
- Biobehavioral Research and Translational Science. Invited speech at the Youjiang Medical University of Nationalities Hospital. Baise, China, July 20, 2017.
- Biobehavioral Research. Invited speech and Workshop at Wuhan University School of Rehabilitation and Nursing. Wuhan, China, July 2017.
- Evidence Based Practice in Diverse Environment. Invited Speech and Workshop at Wuhan University School of Rehabilitation and Nursing. Wuhan, China, July 2017.
Peer Reviewed Podium Presentations
- 2021 The Brain Korea 21 Lectureship: Post-doctoral Training in Nursing Science. Seoul National University College of Nursing, Seoul, Korea. January 12, 2021 (Virtual lecture).
- 2020 Life Science Center Lectureship: Future of Health Care and Nursing from Global Perspectives, Andong National University, Andong, Korea, Oct. 22, 2020 (Virtual lecture).
- 2020 Nursing Pinning Ceremony Lectureship: Future of Health Care and Nursing from Global Perspectives. Chungwoon University, College of Health Welfare & Nursing, Department of Nursing. Korea, Nov 13th, 2020 (Virtual lecture).
- 2019 Early assessment of CVD risks among breast cancer survivors. Massy Cancer Center. Richmond VA, May 2019.
- 2019 Awareness of Cardiovascular Risk and Practice of Health Behaviors among Cancer Survivors. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Philadelphia, PA, Nov.16-18 2019.
- 2019 Determinants of Cardiovascular Health Among Middle-age and Older Adults Ethnic Groups. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Philadelphia, PA, Nov.16-18 2019.
- 2019 Stroke Risk among Post-menopausal Breast-Cancer Survivors. International Stroke Society. Honolulu, HI, Feb 6-8, 2019.
- 2019 Precision in Weight Control Following Cancer treatment: Is There a Golden Time? Southern Nursing Research Society, February 27-March 1 2019.
- 2018 Cardiovascular and Metabolic Risk Profile of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Patients and Liver Transplant Recipients. American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions, Chicago Il, November 9-12 2018.
- 2018 Weight Changes and Mortality Among Cancer Survivors. State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research: Precision Health, The Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science. Washington D.C., September 13-15, 2018.
- 2018 Suitability and contents coverage of stroke-related websites for stroke management. International Stroke Society. Los Angeles, CA, Jan 24-26, 2018.
- 2017 Cardiovascular risk among breast cancer and colorectal cancer survivors. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim CA, Nov. 11-15.
- 2017 Utilization of salivary biomarkers to enhance biobehavioral research. Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Pre-conference workshop, Understanding the bio in biobehavioral research. Dallas TX, February 22-25.
- 2017 Lessons learned from strict eligibility criteria. Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Symposium, Lemons into Lemonade, Dallas TX, February 22-25.
- 2017 Assessment of Autonomic Nervous System Function in Patients with Chronic Health Conditions. Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Dallas TX, February 22-25 (podium presentation).
- 2017 The Impact of Autonomic Dysfunction on Liver-Related Symptoms in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Their Relationship to Systemic Inflammation and Insulin Resistance. International Congress of Nursing. Barcelona, Spain, May 27-June 1(podium presentation).
- 2016 Cardiovascular risk and mortality increase with progression of chronic liver disease. Circulation. 133:AP 324.
- 2016 EMS Use after Acute Ischemic Stroke In Korean Population: Familyism May Not Help (Abstract accepted for online publication, first). Stroke Journal Online Feb 2016.
- 2016 Stroke Knowledge and Prehospital Delay in Elderly Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients (Abstract accepted for online publication, first). Stroke Journal Online Feb 2016.
- 2016 Subclinical Biomarkers and Health Behavior as Determinants of Cardiovascular Health in Asymptomatic Chronic Liver Disease. In a symposium titled Cardiovascular Risk Reduction in High Risk Individuals across the Lifespan. Congress of State of Science. Washington DC, September 18-20. (symposium)
- 2016 Narrowing the gap in awareness, symptoms recognition, and response time to stroke among non-English speaking minority population. International Stroke Conference 2016, Los Angeles, California Feb 16-1. (Invited Symposium)
- 2016 Noninvasive salivary biomarker analysis of cardiovascular and metabolic risks in natural disaster survivors with and without posttraumatic stress disorder. Southern Nursing Research Society 30th Annual Conference, Williamsburg VA, Feb 24-27 (symposium).
Peer Reviewed Poster Presentations
- 2018 Exploring the effects of sexual orientation on the cardiovascular risk and health behaviors in emerging adulthood. Annual Meeting of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, New Orleans AL, April 10-14, 2018. (poster presenter)
- 2018 Weight changes among breast cancer and colorectal cancer survivors: 10 year follow up. Inaugural Obesity and Cancer Summit, March 15, 2018, Richmond VA. (poster presenter)
- 2017 Cardiometabolic risk in liver transplant survivors. American Heart Association, EPI-life style conference Hilton, Portland OR, March 6-10 (poster presentation).
- 2017 Break the myth and revisit non-obese Asian American’s cardiometabolic risk. American Heart Association, EPI-life style conference Hilton, Portland OR, March 6-10 (poster presentation).
- 2016 Exploring sexual orientation and cardiovascular disease risk in women. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2016, New Orleans LA. November 12-16 (poster presentation).
- 2016 The Impact of Autonomic Dysfunction on Liver-Related Symptoms in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Their Relationship to Systemic Inflammation and Insulin Resistance. Digestive Disease Week 2017, May 6-9, Chicago, IL. (poster)
- 2016 Cardiovascular Risk and Mortality Increase with Progression of Chronic Liver Disease. American Heart Association. EPI/Lifestyle 2016. Phoenix, AZ, March 1-4 (poster presentation).
- 2016 Stroke Knowledge and Prehospital Delay in Elderly Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients. International Stroke Conference 2016, Los Angeles, California Feb 16-19 (poster presentation).
- 2016 EMS Use after Acute Ischemic Stroke In Korean Population: Familyism May Not Help. International Stroke Conference 2016, Los Angeles, California Feb 16-19 (poster presentation).
Scroll table right to view more
- 2022-2025 Funder: Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas Grant # RFA P-21.2. Evidence-Based Cancer Prevention Services p.20/42. Dollars: 1,000,000. Title: E-SISTA (Empowering Sisters in Survivorship with Technology-Assisted Interventions). Role: PI
- 2022-2025 Funder: NHLBI Clinical Trial Pilot Studies (R34 Clinical Trial Optional) PAR-21-079. Dollars: 450,000. Title: Micro-Randomization and Optimization of Cardiovascualr Risk Reduction for Cancer Survivors. Role: PI
- 2021-2024 Funder: Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas Grant # RFA R-22.1-IIRA. Individual Investigator Research Awards. Dollars: 450,000. Title: Technology-supported Just-In-Time-Adaptive Intervention for Cancer Survivors in Texas (JITAI-Texas). Role: PI
Submitted and Not Funded or Unfunded Research/Projects
- 09/2019 Massey Cancer Center-Pauley Heart Jointed Pilot - Grant
- 08/2019 Masse Cancer Center Tina Bachas Nursing Research - Award
- 05/2019 IGP School of Nursing Grant, PI-unfunded
- 02/2018 Massey Cancer Center Pilot grant, PI—unfunded
- 06/2017 R15, PI- unfunded
- 06/2016 R15, Subcontract- unfunded
- 2019-2020 Funder: VCU. $27400. Title: Course redesign. Role: Co-PI (with Dr. Jo Robins)
- 2016-2017 Funder: JPB Research Award, Daisy Foundation. Title: Cardiovascular risk in cancer survivors. Role: Principal Investigator $5,000
- 2015-Summer Virginia Commonwealth University. Title: Honors Summer Undergraduate Research Program, $500. Role: Mentor support
Scroll table right to view more
- 1999 - Doctor of Philosophy - Adult Health - Ohio State University
- 1988 - Masters of Science - Adult Health - Seoul National University
- 1985 - Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Nursing - Seoul National University