Requirements for Applicants
The South Texas Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) abides by the same prerequisite coursework and acceptance requirements as the Long School of Medicine. For a list of acceptance and education requirements, please visit their website.
Applicants who are interested in both the M.D. and the MSTP at UT Health San Antonio need to fill out separate applications for each program. The MSTP utilizes the American Medical College Application Service® (AMCAS®) system for primary application, and the M.D. program uses the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service (TMDSAS) for their primary application. There are no secondary applications for either program at this time. It should be noted that the expectations for the MSTP acceptance are not only higher in terms of MCAT and GPA but are significantly different with an added emphasis on the applicant's research experience.
The application deadline for the MSTP is on November 1st of the year preceding enrollment. Decisions are made known to applicants in late December or January. For most programs in the graduate school, the final application deadline is by April 15th for August enrollment. However, each program has small differences.
The MSTP does not consider the state of residency for admission purposes. As well, International student applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants must have extraordinary qualifications to be considered.
How to be a competitive applicant
- The program seeks individuals who have demonstrated a passion for biomedical research. This passion must be described clearly in the M.D./Ph.D. essay.
- Sustained inquiry and investigation within a biomedical laboratory for a minimum of one year is preferred.
- Presentations and/or publications are not necessary but they improve the quality of an application.
- Some clinical shadowing experience is needed to develop an informed reflection that leads to the determination of pursuing a clinical degree.
- M.D./Ph.D. programs are very competitive requiring high academic standards.
- Additional resources for the M.D./Ph.D. application can be found on the AMCAS website.
Interested? Learn more about the: