Jayakumar Jayaraman, BDS, MDS, DipFHID, MPaed Dent RCS, FDSRCS, PhD
Dr. Jayakumar Jayaraman is researching "Age estimation based on the stage of tooth formation: Development and validation of reference standards in children of Hispanic origin in Texas."
Track/Discipline: Pediatric Dentistry
- Jayaraman J, King NM, Roberts GJ, Wong HM. Dental age assessment: are Demirjian’s standards appropriate for southern Chinese children? Journal of Forensic Odontostomatology 2011; 29: 22-28.
- Jayaraman J, Roberts GJ, King NM, Wong HM. Dental age assessment of southern Chinese using the United Kingdom Caucasian reference dataset. Forensic Science International 2012; 216: 68-72.
- Mallineni SK, Jayaraman J, Yiu CK, King NM. Concomitant occurrence of hypohyperdontia in a patient with Marfan syndrome: a review of the literature and report of a case. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry 2012; 3: 253-257.
- Jayaraman J, Wong HM, King NM, Roberts GJ. Secular trends in the maturation of permanent teeth in 5 to 6 years old children. American Journal of Human Biology 2013; 25: 329-34.
- Jayaraman J, Wong HM, King NM, Roberts GJ. The French-Canadian dataset of Demirjian for dental age estimation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine 2013; 20: 373-381.
- Jayaraman J. Dental Age Assessment: an ethical solution for age dispute problems in India. Journal of Indian Dental Association 2013; 4: 8-10.
- Zhu S, Jayaraman J, Khambay BS. Evaluation of Facial Appearance in Patients with Cleft Lip and Palate by Laypeople and Professionals: A Systematic Literature Review. Cleft Lip-Palate Craniofacial Journal 2016; 53: 187-196.
- Jayaraman J, Roberts GJ, Mupparapu M, King NM, Marsden PH, McDonald F, Lucas VS, Singer SR, Wong HM. Estimation of age using dental radiographs is a justifiable procedure. Indian Dental Association Times. 2016; 12: 2: 16 – 17.
- Jayaraman J, Roberts GJ, King NM, Wong HM, McDonald F. Ages of legal importance: implications in relation to birth registration and age assessment practices. Medicine, Science, and the Law Journal 2016; 56: 77-82.
- Jayaraman J, Wong HM, King NM, Roberts GJ. Development of a Reference Data Set (RDS) for dental age estimation (DAE) and testing of this with a separate Validation Set (VS) in a southern Chinese population. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine 2016; 43: 26-33.
- Jayaraman J, Roberts GJ. Demirjian's method is unsuitable for dental age estimation. Forensic Science, Medicine, and Pathology. 2016; 12: 532-533.
- Wong HM, Wen YF, Jayaraman J, Li J, Sun L, King NM, Roberts GJ. Northern Chinese dental ages estimated from southern Chinese reference datasets closely correlate with chronological age. Heliyon. 2016; 2: e00216.
- Roberts GJ, Lucas VS, McDonald F, Camilleri S, Jayaraman J, Davies D, Moze K. In our opinion. British Dental Journal. 2017; 222: 918-921.
- Bunyarit SS, Jayaraman J, Nambiar P, Naidu MK, Poh R. A modified method of dental age estimation of Malay juveniles. Legal Medicine. 2017; 28: 45-53.
- Jayaraman J, Mallineni SK. Does hypodontia of primary canines result in delayed dental development? European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry. 2017; 18:371-372.
- Nagendrababu V, Jayaraman J, Suresh A, Kalyanasundaram S, Neelakantan P. Effectiveness of Ultrasonically Activated Irrigation on Root Canal Disinfection: A Systematic Review of in vitro Studies.Clinical Oral Investigations. 2018; 22: 655-670.
- Nagendrababu V, Pullikotil SJ, Omer SS, Jayaraman J, Peters OA. Methodological and Reporting Quality of Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses in Endodontics. Journal of Endodontics. 2018; 44: 903-913.
- Jayaraman J, King NM, Wong HM, Roberts GJ. Dental age estimation in southern Chinese population using panoramic radiographs: validation of three population specific reference standards. BMC Medical Imaging. 2018; 18: 5.
- Jayaraman J. Dental age estimation (DAE) in India - do we have a role beyond publishing scientific evidences? Journal of Forensic Dental Sciences. 2018; 10: 55-57.
- Jayaraman J, Nagendrababu V, Pulikkotil SJ, Innes NPT. Critical appraisal of methodological quality of systematic reviews and meta-analysis in Paediatric Dentistry journals. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. 2018; 28: 548-560.
- Jayaraman J, Roberts GJ. Comparison of dental maturation in Hong Kong Chinese and United Kingdom Caucasian populations. Forensic Science International. 2018; 292: 61-70.
- Nagendrababu V, Pulikkotil SJ, Sultan OS, Jayaraman J, Soh JA, Dummer PMH. Effectiveness of technology-enhanced learning in Endodontic education: a systematic review and meta-analysis. International Endodontic Journal. 2019; 52: 181-192.
- Mallineni SK, Jayaraman J, Wong HM, King NM. Dental development in children with supernumerary teeth in the anterior region of maxilla. Clinical Oral Investigations. 2019; 23: 2987-2994.
- Nagendrababu V, Chong B, McCabe PS, Shah PK, Priya E, Jayaraman J, Pulikkotil S, Dummer PMH. Guidelines for reporting the quality of clinical case reports in Endodontics: a development protocol. International Endodontic Journal. 2019; 52: 775-778.
- Nagendrababu V, Duncan HF, Bjørndal L, Kvist T, Priya E, Pulikkotil SJ, Jayaraman J, Dummer PMH. Preferred Reporting Items for RAndomized Trials in Endodontics (PRIRATE) guidelines: a development protocol. International Endodontic Journal. 2019; 52: 974-978.
- Bunyarit SS, Jayaraman J, Nambiar P, Naidu MK, Poh R. Dental age estimation of Malaysian Chinese children and adolescents: Demirjian’s method revisited using artiﬁcial multilayer perceptron neural network. Australian Journal of Forensic Sciences. 2019. doi: 2019.1567810">10.1080/00450618.2019.1567810
- Pulikkotil SJ, Jayaraman J, Nagendrababu V. Quality of abstracts of systematic reviews and meta-analysis in paediatric dentistry journals. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry. 2019; 20: 383-391.
- Nagendrababu V, Murray PE, Ordinola-Zapata R, Peters OA, Rocas IN, Siqueira JF Jr, Priya E, Jayaraman J, Pulikkotil SJ, Dummer PMH. A protocol for developing reporting guidelines for laboratory studies in Endodontology. International Endodontic Journal. 2019; 52: 1090-1095.
- Nagendrababu V, Kishen A, Nekoofar MH, de Figueiredo JAP, E Priya E, Jayaraman J, Pulikkotil SJ, Dummer PMH. Preferred Reporting Items for Animal studies in Endodontics (PRIASE): a development protocol. International Endodontic Journal. 2019; 52: 1290-1296.
- Jayaraman J, Wong HM, Roberts GJ, King NM, Cardoso HF, Pavethynath V, Vergara RG, Yanagita K, Sutthiprapaporn P, Jorns TP. Age estimation in three distinct East Asian population groups using southern Han Chinese reference dataset. BMC Oral Health. 2019; 19(1): 242.
- Jayaraman J, Dhar V, Donly KJ, Priya E, Innes NP, Clarkson J, Raggio DP, Childers N, Wright T, King N, Nagendrababu V, Clarke M. Reporting stAndards for research in PedIatric Dentistry (RAPID): a development protocol. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. 2020; 30: 96-103.
- Balgi P, Katge F, Singh S, Jayaraman J. Comparative assessment to determine the accuracy of Demirjian and DARLInG methods of dental age estimation in western Indian children. Legal Medicine. 2020; 42: 101629.
- Jayaraman J, Nagendrababu V, Pullikotil SJ, Veettil SK, Dhar V. Efficacy of formocresol and ferric sulphate as pulpotomy material in primary molars: a meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis of randomized clinical trials. Quintessence International. 2020; 1: 38-48.
- Jayaraman J, Mupparapu M. Dental age estimation using radiographs: an unsettling conflict between ethical principles and scientific evidence. Quintessence International. 2020; 1: 5-6.
- May LK, Shian AYM, Durward C, Jayaraman J. A method of estimating age of undocumented children and young adults in Cambodia of different socioeconomic status. Heliyon. 2020. E034676.
- Nagendrababu V, Chong BS, McCabe P, Shah PK, Priya E, Jayaraman J, Pulikkotil SJ, Setzer FC, Sunde PT, Dummer P. PRICE 2020 Guidelines for reporting case reports in Endodontics: A consensus-based development. International Endodontic Journal. 2020 Feb 23. doi: 10.1111/iej.13285.
- Lim BS, Parolia A, Chia MSY, Jayaraman J, Nagendrababu V. Antimicrobial efficacy of QMix on Entercoccus faecalis infected root canals: A systematic review of in-vitro studies. Restorative Dentistry & Endodontics. 2020; 45: e23.
- Nagendrababu V, Duncan HF, Bjørndal L, Kvist T, Priya E, Jayaraman J, Pulikkotil SJ, Pigg M, Rechenberg DK, Vaeth M, Dummer P. PRIRATE 2020 guidelines for reporting randomized trials in Endodontics: a consensus-based development. International Endodontic Journal. 2020 Mar 20. doi: 10.1111/iej.13294.
- Chia MSY, Parolia A, Lim BS, Jayaraman J, Porto ICCM. Effect of QMix irrigant in removal of smear layer in root canal system: A systematic review of in-vitro studies. Restorative Dentistry & Endodontics.2020; 45: e28.
- Nagendrababu V, Kishen A, Chong BS, Priya E, Duncan HF, Rôças IN, Jayaraman J, de Figueiredo JAP, Siqueira Jr JR, Bjørndal L, Nekoofar MH, Peters OA, McCabe P, Murray PE, Shah PK, Ordinola-Zapata R, Pulikkotil SJ, T Kvist T, PMH Dummer PMH. Preferred Reporting Items for study Designs in Endodontology (PRIDE): Guiding authors to identify reporting deficiencies in their manuscripts prior to peer-review. International Endodontic Journal. 2020; 53: 589-590.
- Nagendrababu V, Chong BS, McCabe P, Shah PK, Priya E, Jayaraman J, Pulikkotil SJ, Setzer FC, Sunde PT, Dummer P. PRICE 2020 Guidelines for reporting case reports in Endodontics: Explanation and Elaboration. International Endodontic Journal. 2020. Apr 8. doi: 10.1111/iej.13304.
- Mallineni SK, Innes NP, Raggio DP, Araujo MP, Robertson MD, Jayaraman J. Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Characteristics in children and considerations for dentists providing their care. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. 2020; 30: 245-250.
- Nagendrababu V, Duncan HF, Fouad AF, Kirkevang LL, Parashos P, Pigg M, Vaeth M, Jayaraman J, Dummer P. Preferred Reporting items for OBservational studies in Endodontics (PROBE): a development protocol. International Endodontic Journal. 2020 May 4. doi: 10.1111/iej.13318.
- Jayaraman J, Dhar V, Moorani Z, Donly KJ, Tinanoff N, Mitchelle S, Wright T. Impact of COVID-19 in Pediatric Dental Practice in the United States. Pediatric Dentistry. 2020; 42: 180-183.
- Jayaraman J, Donly K. Price and availability of prescription fluoride toothpaste in US pharmacies. Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry. 2020; 41(7).
- B.D.S., Bachelor of Dental Surgery, T.N. Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, India, 2007
- M.D.S., Master of Dental Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2010
- M. Paed. Dent. R.C.S., Diploma of Membership in Paediatric Dentistry, The Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK, 2013
- Dip.FHID., Diploma in Forensic Human Identification, The Royal College of Physicians, London, UK, 2014
- Ph.D., Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2014
- F.D.S.R.C.S., Fellow of Dental Surgery, The Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK, 2018
- Postgraduate Studentship from the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong for conducting research titled “Dental Age Assessment: Development and validation of reference dataset on southern Chinese and application on east Asian populations” during the period 2010 to 2014. The funding allotted was HK$ 696,000 (US$ 90,000 approx).
- University Postgraduate Fellowship Award 2010-2011 worth HK$ 70,000 for outstanding academic record supported by the University of Hong Kong Foundation for Educational Development and Research.
- Winner of “Go Cambridge Enterprisers competition” organised by The University of Hong Kong School of Professional and Continuing Education (HKU SPACE). Received a sponsorship worth HK$ 27,000 to participate in the Enterprisers Programme (May 2014) run by the Judge Business School's Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning, University of Cambridge, England.
- Nominated for “Rolex Young Laureate Award” in 2014 for a project titled “Age Estimation for undocumented children in India.”
- Charity to promote birth records – South China Morning Post, City 2, 28 August 2013.
- No more lying through teeth – The Times of India, Chennai, City 5, 12 June 2014.
- HKU SPACE’s Go Cambridge competition – South China Morning Post, Hong Kong, 15 July 2014.
- Dental X-Rays, a solution to Unregistered Births – Indian Express, Chennai, 24 September 2014.
- 100 orphans to get birth certificates after age estimation studies – DNA, Mumbai, 14 August 2015.
- 102 kids get age certificates at spell dental camp in Nerul – Times of India, Navi Mumbai, 20 August 2015.
- Secular Trends in dental development – International Dental Tribune (Asia Pacific Edition), September 2014.