Clinical experience information for the AEGD program
Where do I receive my clinical education?
Residents in the AEGD program provide care in the Advanced General Dentistry Clinic at UT Dentistry’s Center for Oral Health Care & Research.
How many operatories are in the clinic where I will work?
We have 21 fully equipped treatment rooms, including a surgical suite equipped with an endodontic microscope, 2 surgical suites, dental lab, photography studio and digital design center.
What types of procedures will residents perform during their program?
Residents provide comprehensive care to our patients, which includes IV conscious sedation, restorative, crowns and bridges, implant placement and restorations, endodontics, removal prosthodontics, veneers, periodontal surgery and oral surgery, including third molars. Other complex procedures such as full mouth rehabs, hybrid surgeries and restorations, GBR and periodontal surgery. Special emphasis on digital dentistry, printing, milling and the use of software such as Exocad, Trios, Blue Sky Bio, Digital Smile Design, Ceramill and preform. Care is also provided to patients with complex medical histories, including HIV and cancer.
Who supervises and teaches?
- AEGD trained faculty
- GPR trained faculty
- General Dentist with expertise in Digital Dentistry
- General Dentist with expertise in Conscious Sedation
What clinical rotations will I participate in?
- San Antonio Christian Dental Rotation: Emphasis on OMS and Digital Dentistry
- Community Clinic Rotation: Emphasis on Advance Endodontics and OMS
Who are my patients?
Patients are members of the San Antonio community who are primarily referred from the predoctoral clinic. We also get community referrals and emergency walk-ins.
What else should I know?
- Didactic instruction is an important component of our program. Three hundred and fifty hours are devoted annually to lectures, seminars, continuing education courses and other presentations that cover a wide range of advanced dental topics.
- An optional second year of our AEGD program is also available for interested first-year AEGD participants.
- A 3-year master plus AEGD program is also offered for interested applicants.
- There are 12 to 15 first-year positions available; the number available varies per year. We receive between 180 to 250 applications per year, and we will interview 32 to 40 applicants.