Dental Hygiene Bachelor Completion Program Admissions Process
How to apply
The Bachelor Completion program is for licensed dental hygienists in the U.S. or Canada. During our admissions process, a maximum of 12 students may be admitted. The curriculum is offered fully online on a full or part-time basis.
Our program uses an external source to process applications, the Dental Hygiene Centralized Application System, DHCAS offered through the American Dental Education Association, ADEA.
To begin the ADEA DHCAS application, the applicant must first apply for a dentpin
Include two reference forms and a dental school personal statement
Send official transcripts from every school you have attended to ADEA DHCAS and to Office of the Registrar. Transcripts must be received no later than January 15
- TOEFL score (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Required only for international applicants from countries where English is not the native language; a minimum score of 68 (Internet), 220 (computer), or 560 (paper) is required. International applicants must have transcripts from foreign universities evaluated by a professional firm
- Upon completion of the DHCAS application, send a $60.00 fee to UT Health San Antonio-Dental Hygiene in the form of a check or money order with the same name as you used for the ADEA DHCAS application and include a printout of the first page of your application. This will allow your payment to be matched with the applicant
Mail your $60.00 fee to:
UT Health San Antonio
Periodontics-Division of Dental Hygiene, MC 7904
Attn: Martha Browning
7703 Floyd Curl Dr
San Antonio, TX 78229
- • Transfer Credits earned from a CODA-accredited dental hygiene school in the U.S. or Canada are applied toward a bachelor’s degree
- • Up to 6 credit hours of prerequisites may be in progress during the spring semester prior to admittance with all science courses completed by the prior fall semester. The 6 credit hours must be completed, and transcripts submitted by May 30
- An entrance exam, ACT, or SAT is not required
- October 26 - December 31
- Application period open for the following academic year
- October 26 - January 15
- Submit all transcripts to ADEA DHCAS
- December 31
- Deadline for submitting the application
- January 15
- Deadline for submitting final transcripts from all schools
- May 1
- Applicants notified of acceptance status
- Online registration
- Fall semester begins the first week of July / subject to change.
- Attend mandatory in-person 8-hour orientation on the first-day term officially begins.
- All dental hygiene students at UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry must perform certain essential functions to successfully complete the curriculum.
- Cognitive functions: All students must be able to solve problems, using the ability to understand and retain knowledge derived from readings, lectures, and demonstrations. Students must be able to use reasoning, to analyze and to integrate learned material and apply principles to new problems.
- Sensory and motor skills: All students must be able to observe patients and simulations and gain patient information to be used in diagnosis. They must possess sufficient vision, hearing, and physical abilities to obtain a patient history, perform a physical examination and provide patient care. Students must have adequate stamina to manipulate dental equipment appropriately and to perform in class, clinic, and laboratory settings during long hours.
- Communication skills: All students must be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with patients, peers, staff, faculty, employers and the community. All students must have exceptional computer skills to maintain effective online communication throughout the program. Students must be able to demonstrate respect and understanding of emotional, social, and cultural issues.
- Professional and behavioral skills: All students must demonstrate the capacity for sustained function under stress and to respond appropriately to unpredictable circumstances. Furthermore, students must demonstrate high ethical standards and professional behavior when interacting with patients, fellow students, faculty, staff, and the public.
For more information
- Email email@example.com
- For help with transcript verification contact ADEA DHCAS
What is UT Health San Antonio's policy regarding bloodborne pathogens?
Individuals who are involved in the provision of dental hygiene services may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens that may result in human disease. Students and faculty members who experience an exposure to potentially infectious materials (needle stick, mucous membrane, or non-intact skin) or airborne inhalation require specific follow-up attention. For more information on the policies on bloodborne and infectious diseases refer to the UT Health San Antonio Policies on Bloodborne and Infectious Diseases.
What do I need to know about immunizations in preparation for this program?
Immunizations must be completed before July 1. No exceptions will be made for any student. Several immunizations can take six weeks to complete, so please familiarize yourself with the required vaccinations by visiting our student health page on this topic.
What happens after my application is submitted?
- January: ADEA DHCAS verifies transcripts
- February: Admissions Committee reviews applications
- March - April: E-interviews for BSDC students will be conducted by the admissions team
- May: Notification of application status is sent via email
- If accepted
- You will be assigned a UT Health SA email
- All correspondence will occur via assigned UT Health livemail
- All accepted applicants must return or complete the following before registration:
- Letter of intent via email
- Criminal background check (CBC)
- Submit immunization records https://students.uthscsa.edu/registrar/2013/04/holds/
- Clear all holds https://students.uthscsa.edu/registrar/2013/04/holds/
- Complete the New Student Checklist « Registrar (uthscsa.edu)
- Complete online modules sent by the Office of Student Services
- Purchase your own computer
For computer hardware and software specifications guidance: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (210) 567-7777
- All students are required to show proof of medical insurance each semester when paying for tuition
- If accepted
- June 1 - 30: Register for classes online
- July: Attend mandatory on-campus orientation, the first-day term officially begins.
Do you have other questions?