Program Description : Teaching Honors Program
The objective of the Teaching Honors Program is to recognize students who go the extra mile to complete additional curriculum tailored to the teaching, scholarship and academic administration fields within the dental community. Only 1 percent of dental school graduates enter academics before age 48. The Teaching Honors Program contributes to a national effort in dental education to increase students' awareness of career options in teaching and research. The program provides teaching and course planning experiences for students, helps students "look behind the curtain" to explore faculty life and creates a forum for students to explore academic career rewards and issues.
Students completing this program graduate with the designation of "Distinction in Dental Education" on their diploma and official transcripts.
Description of the program
The Teaching Honors Program requires that eligible students in good academic standing complete selective courses unique to the program in order to graduate with the recognition of Distinction in Dental Education. The students will have participated in hands-on teaching projects, including instruction in the Leadership Education and Development Institute (LEAD) Summer Pre-matriculation Program.
Goals of the program
- Enhance dental students' awareness of academic career options and the pathways into teaching, research and administrative positions in dental schools
- Increase students' knowledge of the multiple roles and responsibilities of dental school faculty members
- Introduce students to teaching and learning concepts and principles of educational planning
- Provide opportunities for students to use educational planning skills to design and implement courses, as well as implement projects to enhance the curriculum and/or learning environment
- Implement programs where students can teach in classroom, laboratory and clinical settings and receive feedback from students, peers and the Teaching Honors Program director and faculty observers
- Create opportunities for some students to pursue in-depth training in educational methods and research to enrich their experience in the program