Physician Assistant Clinical Preceptors
Together, we can teach our future health care providers.
Board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants are needed to help students expand their knowledge from didactic curriculum into clinical rotations. The clinical year takes students from the theoretical classroom setting to an active, hands-on learning environment to prepare them for a lifetime of continue refinement of skills and expanded knowledge as a practicing physician assistant.
As a clinical preceptor
- Have access to development seminars hosted by UT Health San Antonio to enhance teaching and clinical skills
- Earn Category II CME hours
- Accept students as your schedule permits
- Become a contributor in the education of the next generation of health care providers
- Build collegial networks and relationships with potential employees
- Adjunct faculty appointment opportunity available after successful completion of one full year as a preceptor and acceptance of at least four students per year. Adjunct faculty will have online asynchronous access to the university library’s journals and databases.
- HIPAA trained
- Blood-borne pathogen trained
- Basic life certified
- Advance life support certified
- Covered by university liability insurance
- Completed didactic curriculum in good academic standing
Clinical year goals
- Apply didactic knowledge to supervised clinical practice
- Develop and sharpen clinical problem solving skills
- Expand and develop the medical fund of knowledge
- Perfect the art of history taking and physical examination skills
- Develop an understanding of the physician assistant role in health care delivery
- Prepare for the Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE)
- Develop interpersonal skills and professionalism necessary to function as part of a medical team
- There are multiple opportunities to help with classroom teaching, which include lecturing or assisting with small and large group learning experiences for our first or second year students.
Offices & Departments
For more information