Master of Science in Respiratory Care (Online) program information
The program is designed to provide the working Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT), who holds a bachelor's degree, the opportunity to complete a Master of Science in Respiratory Care through an online program. The American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) 2005 Human Resources Study reported there was an increase in the number of respiratory therapists with higher degrees. Earning a Master of Science in Respiratory Care may open doors to opportunities to assume positions to teach respiratory therapy in an academic or higher education setting, management or leadership position within a healthcare organization, or in a research arena to provide improvements in cardiopulmonary techniques. The degree completion program will provide the opportunity to develop the knowledge, leadership skills and interpersonal skills that will enable them to improve the health care system.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Respiratory Care (Online) program will be able to:
- Create and implement a comprehensive evidence-based disease management care plans based on the assessment of the cardiopulmonary patient diagnosis and patient ability
- Critically evaluate and apply evidence-based guidelines in the practice of respiratory therapy
- Provide consultation or expert opinion to the health care team
- Demonstrate advanced competencies related to education, research and leadership
- Demonstrate critical thinking and decision-making based on analysis of evidence from respiratory and other science as related to the role of the respiratory therapist role
Graduates of the respiratory care program will be prepared to function as competent advanced level respiratory therapists.
Upon completion of the Master of Science in Respiratory Care (Online) program, all students will demonstrate the ability to:
- Exhibit leadership attributes to promote safe, quality care for diverse patients across a variety of settings
- Analyze and apply evidence-based practice in diverse settings
- Evaluate, conduct and publish cardiopulmonary evidence
- Compare, contrast and promote cost-effective quality healthcare for all cardiopulmonary patients
- Collaborate as a member of the interprofessional health care team