Because UT Health San Antonio doesn't have on-campus housing, students must navigate the local rental market. Luckily, the staff at Student Life is happy to offer advice and support. The office maintains a list of nearby rental properties and the names of other students searching for roommates.
Ben Rivers, assistant director for wellness and recreational sports, and Leslie Hernandez, administrative assistant, also have some general advice to help jump-start your search:
- Our "neighborhood" is the Medical Center. You'll see that term used in ads for local rentals and on real-estate sites. Because of the high volume of students, medical and dental residents and others who are in town to work and study here, the Medical Center has a lot of rental properties nearby.
- "Stay close and stay west of Fredericksburg Road" is Ben's top advice to students who call him. San Antonio is a big city and has lots of neighborhoods, but he's found that most students live in apartments west of Fredericksburg Road, in close proximity to UT Health San Antonio.
- Expect to pay $500 to $800 per month in rent for an apartment meant for one person near the Medical Center. If you're up for living with roommates or you are looking for housing for yourself and your family, you'll find options for bigger and more expensive housing close by, too.
- UT Health San Antonio is located within the boundaries of Northside Independent School District, but you'll want to confirm school district boundaries when you look for housing if you have school-aged children.
- You're almost certain to need a car here. While VIA, the San Antonio public transit system, does have stops nearby, very few apartment complexes are within close walking distance to campus.