15th Point-of-Care Ultrasound Workshop
January 26-27, 2023 in Austin, Texas
"I think the conference was amazing, very well organized, great lectures, ample hands on experience, extremely helpful teachers, all in all a wonderful experience! Kudos to Dr. Soni and his team! Thank you so much!" - 2022 Course Attendee
"The 2019 Point-of-care Ultrasound Workshop was the most effective post-graduate clinical course I have taken. The speakers were terrific, experts in their fields, and engaging. The hands-on ultrasound experience while being mentored by outstanding faculty in real-time was very effective. The practical lessons learned both in didactic and actual ultrasound imaging will change my daily practice and make me a better clinician and transplant surgeon. A game-changer." - Francisco G. Cigarroa, MD, 2019 Course Participant & Former Chancellor of the University of Texas System
Point-of-Care Ultrasound Workshop is a unique hands-on experience to teach clinicians bedside applications of portable ultrasound. This workshop is offered in two formats: a traditional, in-person course or as a virtual, tele-ultrasound course.
Traditional, In-person Course
Our traditional, in-person course combines focused didactics and hands-on scanning sessions led by expert faculty from around the country. During the hands-on scanning sessions, course participants practice capturing specific ultrasound views of the heart, lungs, abdomen, and legs on live models. The hands-on sessions are complemented by lectures to improve the participants' knowledge of the indications, technical skills, and clinical integration of bedside ultrasound. The curriculum has been fine-tuned over years to maximize learning.
This workshop is designed for clinicians seeking training in portable ultrasound.
- Internal Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
Why is this workshop unique?
- Nationally recognized point-of-care ultrasound faculty from leading academic institutions
- Low course participant to faculty ratio (2:1 for in-person course; 2:1 or 1:1 for tele-ultrasound course)
- Curriculum designed to teach the highest-yield point-of-care ultrasound applications for clinicians
- Maximum hands-on practice scanning with live models
- No travel is required for the virtual tele-ultrasound workshop
What can you expect to learn?
- Fundamental principles of ultrasound technology and basic operation of a portable ultrasound machine
- Techniques to perform focused diagnostic ultrasound examinations at the bedside, including imaging of the heart, lungs, abdomen, and lower extremity veins
- Techniques to use ultrasound to guide performance of bedside procedures
- Indications, basic protocols, and limitations of bedside ultrasound imaging
- Practice interpretation of normal and abnormal ultrasound images
- Mentored scanning with experienced faculty to learn hands-on imaging techniques
This course satisfies one of the program requirements for the SHM Point-of-care Ultrasound Certificate of Completion.