Primary Tumor Management
Primary tumors are also referred to as primary cancer. A primary tumor is an original tumor that is named for the part of the body in which it is found. For example, a primary brain tumor is a tumor that originated in the brain, not one that arose elsewhere and spread to the brain.
When cancer cells from a primary tumor spread (metastasize) to other parts of the body, the new tumors they form are called secondary tumors.
The management of primary tumors requires delicate planning and targeted treatments to remove or destroy the tumor without damaging other organs or functions. Treatment of primary tumors depends on the individual patient and his or her cancer type.
At the Cancer Center, primary tumor treatment follows national guidelines, many of which were written by our doctors.
Why choose the UT Health San Antonio MD Anderson Cancer Center for primary tumor management?
We are a premier cancer research and treatment facility and the only cancer center recognized by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) in Central and South Texas. We offer dedicated and compassionate care, providing advanced treatments and therapies for managing primary tumors. Patients come to our cancer center from throughout South Texas and beyond to benefit from our:
- Collaborative team of specialists, including expertise in accurately identifying and diagnosing cancerous tumors
- Advanced screening tools for early detection
- Targeted and advanced treatments tailored to your specific needs and tumor type
- Genetic testing and cancer genetics counseling services
- Access to clinical trials
- Large network of patient assistance programs and support services
Advanced tumor treatments at the Cancer Center
If you have been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel overwhelmed with questions and concerns. Our physicians are here to provide you with education, support, treatments and therapies that are best for you. Your care team will work together to quickly and accurately diagnose your tumor and begin a customized course of treatment.
Our treatments include the most advanced and effective cancer treatments available. Your treatment plan may include one or more of the following therapies to remove, shrink or destroy your tumor:
- Chemotherapy: Chemo is one of the most common treatments for cancer. It works by using anti-cancer medicines to interfere with the cancer cell's ability to grow or reproduce.
- Immunotherapy: Also called biotherapy, immunotherapy uses your own immune system to fight cancer, either directly or indirectly.
- External radiation to shrink or destroy tumors: At the cancer center, we provide many forms of advanced radiation techniques, including Intensity Modulate Radiation Therapy (IMRT), Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) and 3-D Conformal Radiotherapy.
- Internal radiation: We use internal radiation to kill tumors from the inside out. This treatment is called brachytherapy.
- Surgery: It may be best to remove the cancerous tumor or growth from your body. Other types of cancer treatments, such as radiation, may be used before or after the surgery.
Make an appointment
To request an appointment or to make a referral to one of our physicians, call 210-450-1000.
For information about cancer treatment or clinical trials, call: 1-800-340-2872.