Annual Medicare Wellness Visits
Medicare now covers two types of office visits — one when you are new to Medicare, and one each year after that. This is a free benefit for all patients with Medicare. Here are some facts you should know so you can take charge of your health and wellness.
Your comprehensive "Welcome to Medicare" visit includes:
- Height, weight, and blood pressure measurements
- A calculation of your body mass index
- A simple vision test
- A review of your potential risk for depression and your level of safety
- An opportunity to talk with your provider about creating advance directives
- A written plan letting you know which screenings, shots, and other preventive services you need
Annual Wellness Visit Coverage
Your annual "wellness" visit is not an annual physical — it is a regular strategy session designed to help you and your physician develop an ongoing health plan intended to keep you healthy, safe and independent for a long time. It will enable you and your physician to develop or update a prevention plan, based on your current health and risk factors. If you have Medicare, you will not be charged for this visit.
Your annual wellness visit includes:
- A review of your medical and family history
- Developing or updating a list of current providers and prescriptions
- Height, weight, blood pressure, and other routine measurements
- Detection of any cognitive impairment
- Personalized health advice
- A list of risk factors and treatment options for you
- A screening schedule (similar to a checklist) for appropriate preventive services
- Learn more about coverage for screenings, shots and other preventive services.
To make the most of your "Welcome to Medicare" or "Medicare Wellness Visit," please bring the following items with you:
- A completed Health Risk Assessment. Please print and complete this document prior to your visit:
- Medical records, including immunization records
- Before your appointment, try to learn as much as you can about your family's health history. Any information you give your doctor can help determine if you're at risk for certain diseases.
- A list of prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications that you currently take, how often you take them and why.
To schedule your Medicare Wellness Visit or if you have any questions, please contact one of our family or geriatric medicine practices:
Medical Arts & Research Center Family Medicine
Medical Arts & Research Center Internal Medicine
CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Senior Health
Westover Hills Primary Care