Hand sanitizer is an easy way to help keep your kids healthy by eliminating germs and bacteria on their hands. However, it has also been the culprit behind 14,000 phone calls to poison control centers across the nation.
Kids don't always understand that hand sanitizer is not a toy and especially not food.
Dr. Shawn Varney is the director of the South Texas Poison Center at UT Health San Antonio. He explains the dangers of this product when it is easily accessible to children. Small kids often "experience the world through their mouths," which could easily lead to alcohol poisoning after ingesting this product, even in small doses.
The South Texas Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222 is available 24/7 with nurses and pharmacists who can quickly answer any questions in both English and Spanish.
Read the full story here.