Stroke is the second leading cause of death for people throughout the world. Knowing your risk for stroke in addition to the steps you should take to lower your risk can save your life.
That’s why our vascular specialists offer stroke prevention screening. Screenings are by appointment and may be covered by insurance. The entire screening takes about an hour, and your results are typically received within 48 hours.
Stroke prevention screening is offered for adults of any age but is highly recommended for those with a higher risk of experiencing a stroke.
Our stroke prevention screening appointments include:
- Color ultrasound doppler technology provides a clear view of the carotid arteries and checks for blockages which are a common cause of stroke.
- Color ultrasound doppler scan provides a clear view of blood flow through the abdominal aortic artery and checks for blockages.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) is a noninvasive way to ensure your heart is working and pumping as it should. An irregular heartbeat can be a risk factor for stroke.
- Ankle-brachial index study is a noninvasive method for determining if blood is efficiently flowing from the heart into the legs and arms.
- Metabolic and lipid panel is a lab test which draws and analyzes your blood. The results show types of blood cells, vitamins/nutrients and assess total cholesterol. High cholesterol puts one at risk for stroke.
- Glucose test checks for low or elevated blood sugars which could lead to diabetes, a risk factor for stroke.
- C-reactive protein (CRP) test is a quick, finger-prick blood test to check for high C-reactive proteins, which can be a warning sign for stroke.
- Body mass index (BMI) assessment is a combined measurement of your height and weight is calculated to determine your body mass index (BMI). A BMI that is too high or too low can be a risk factor. Our vascular specialists are board certified and fellowship-trained in their particular field of vascular expertise. We offer prompt scheduling and access to the most modern imaging and technology available for diagnosing and treating all venous diseases.
Make an appointment
Please call 210-450-9888 for more information or to make an appointment.