VA Human Research - South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS)
VAIRRS is the VA's enterprise version of IRBNet, a web-based software used by administrators, committee members, and researchers for electronic protocol submission/management and review and oversight of research.
All submissions (e.g., new protocols, amendments, continuing reviews, closures) must be submitted electronically via VAIRRS. E-mail and hard copy submissions will not be accepted. The only documents that should not be uploaded into VAIRRS are Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) forms (see instructions in IRBNet library on where to email these).
New Study Submission
Submit New Study Forms to “STVHCS R&D Administration” for pre-review in IRBNet prior to IRB submission.
IRB submission / review is not allowed until VA Preliminary Review is complete for all human subjects research, at which time you will be notified. Human subject’s research studies that must be submitted in IRBNet prior to IRB submission include Human (Full Board), Human (Expedited), Exempt, and Non-Human Research.
Do not submit directly to “STVHCS R&D Committee” or “STVHCS R&D SRS/IBC Committee”.
Please note that projects that receive a non-regulated research determination from the IRB (e.g., quality improvement, program evaluations, implementation research) do not need to be submitted to the R&D Service through IRBNet if they are unfunded. If funded by a national VA Research Service (e.g., VA HSR&D) or non-VA entity (e.g., PCORI), the project should be submitted to the R&D Service via IRBNet. IRB non-regulated research determinations for a funded project can be submitted to IRBNet after IRB determination. If you think your project might be eligible for a non-regulated research determination (or are not sure), please contact the IRB.
Continuing Review, Modification, or Other Submission for an Existing Project
If you need to submit a continuing review, modification, or other submission (e.g., closure) for an existing project, you need to create a new package within the existing project. This will ensure that your submission is linked to the existing project. DO NOT create a new project.
IRBNet Registration and Training - gov.irbnet.org
Investigators can self-register for a VAIRRS account from virtually any computer and submit protocols at gov.irbnet.org. VAIRRS does not require a connection to the VA network.
- New Registration & User Profile Instructions
- Training Energizer: New User Registration (create account, manage affiliations, maintain training records)
- Help Documents For Researchers/Study Coordinators
- Locating submission forms in IRBNet (e.g., New Studies, Continuing Reviews / Institutional Updates, Amendments, Inactivations)
- Training Energizer: Researcher 1 (create, share and submit a project; access review decisions & board documents)
- Training Energizer: Researcher 2 (post-submission topics; create a new package for modifications, renewals, etc.)
- VA Central IRB Submission (accepting all IRB submission in IRBNet)
- Human Studies - VAHumanResearch@uthscsa.edu or Concierge Service Appointment
- Research Funding/Grants or New Research Investigator– Judith.Manning@va.gov to setup appointment with Associate Chief of Staff for Research
- Research privileges (e.g. Training / WOC / IPAAs) - Thomas.Sierra@va.gov and Elian.HolguinDiaz@va.gov
- Safety research subcommittee (SRS/IBC) and/or lab-only studies - VHASTXSafetyIACUC@va.gov