Process for your Ph.D. or M.S. Defense Date and Degree Approval at Graduate Faculty Council
To schedule your final defense for Doctoral and Masters submit the following documents 1 week prior to your intended defense date:
1) Form 40. Electronic signatures will be accepted.
2) Submit one copy of abstract, Vita, and CV to the Graduate Dean’s Office
3) Reserve room with room scheduling. Contact your Academic Coordinator to assist you with a room reservation for your defense.
4) Submit a headshot photo for your defense flyer.
Dissertation and Thesis Guidelines
To learn more about our dissertation and thesis guidelines, click here.
Steps to Degree Approval at the Graduate Faculty Council
Submit the following items at least 1 week prior to the next GFC meeting which is scheduled on the second Friday of each month. If you have any questions, contact your COGS Assistant or Tiffany Thompson (ThompsonT4@uthscsa.edu) in the Graduate Dean’s Office.
1) Form 41 (for MS) or Form 43 (for Ph.D.) with electronic or original signatures. All electronic signatures must be official time-stamped signatures, such as an Adobe signature.
2) Approval Page with electronic or original signatures by all faculty on your Supervising Committee. Please note that the approval page is used in the bound copy of your dissertation or thesis. If collecting original signatures and if you plan to have more than one copy of your dissertation or thesis bound, it is recommended that you collect signatures on more than one approval page, though only one copy is required.
3) Upload a final, committee-approved, PDF of your dissertation/thesis to ProQuest for review. For questions or trouble uploading to ProQuest, please contact Alex De Jesus (firstname.lastname@example.org).
4) You will receive an email confirmation when your dissertation/thesis meets formatting requirements.
Following Approval at Graduate Faculty Council
You will receive notification from your COGS Assistant if you received degree approval at the GFC.
Library Copyright Permission
For dissertations and theses, please see the following timelines:
February 2022 Degree Conferral Timeline
May 2022 Degree Conferral Timeline
June 2022 Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2021 Degree Conferral Timeline
December 2021 Degree Conferral Timeline
For manuscripts, please see the following timelines:
February 2022 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
May 2022 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
June 2022 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2021 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
December 2021 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
For graduation in absentia, please see the following timelines:
February 2022 In Absentia Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2021 In Absentia Degree Conferral Timeline
For a Commencement Checklist, please see the following document:
Letters for Degree Completion
If you need a letter stating your degree conferral date, letters can be provided after your degree has been approved by the Graduate Faculty Council. Please refer to the degree conferral timelines to determine when a letter will be available for you.
May 2022 Graduation Information
Check back for more information.