Process for your Ph.D. or M.S. Defense Date and Degree Approval at Graduate Faculty Council
*Recommended Time: 3 weeks before defense*
To schedule your final defense for doctoral and master's submit:
1) Form 40 (A faxed signature from the outside member will be accepted.)
2) Submit one copy of abstract and Vita to the Graduate Dean’s Office
3) Upload a draft PDF version of your dissertation or thesis for formatting review into ProQuest
4) Reserve room with room scheduling
Submitting to ProQuest
The Proquest/UMI website provides publishing guides regarding your options for traditional publishing verses open access publishing and registering for copyrights . There are fees associated with some of these additional options. There is no fee for traditional publishing of theses and dissertations.
In the center box click on: Submit my Dissertation/thesis. The process is very straightforward. One important point to remember is when you are asked to type the title of your dissertation**Do not copy and paste, this must be typed out. You are required to submit your dissertation/thesis to the publishing company ProQuest/UMI for electronic publishing/storage.
Steps to Degree Approval at Graduate Faculty Council
Submit the following items at least 5 days prior to the next GFC meeting which is scheduled on the second Friday of each month. If you have any questions, contact you COGS Assistant or Amber Yuker ( firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Graduate Dean’s Office.
1) Form 41 (for MS) or Form 43 (for Ph.D.) with original signatures.
2) Approval Page with original signatures by all faculty on Supervising Committee
3) Final PDF of dissertation/thesis approved for formatting by Dr. Nicquet Blake.
4) Confirmation that dissertation/thesis meets formatting requirements for ProQuest
Following Approval at Graduate Faculty Council
You will receive notification from your COGS Assistant if you received degree approval at the GFC.
Click here for general instructions for electronic formatting of your dissertation/thesis.
Click here for a sample Title page
Click here for a sample Table of Content pages
Click here for a sample Abstract page
Click here for a sample Dedication page
Click here for a sample List of Figures
Click here for a sample Literature Cited - Numbered Block Format
Click here for a sample Literature Cited - Hanging First Line Format
*For BME students only, click here for templates for title & abstract pages.
Binding of Dissertation
The binding form is required to be sent to the UT Health San Antonio library along with the number of copies you want bound. It is optional if you would like to print your dissertation on 20 percent cotton paper. If the department is going to pay for one or more bound copies, please obtain the required account information from your department administrator.
Note: The UT Health San Antonio Library will not make copies or print your dissertation/thesis.
Additional Graduation Forms for Ph.D. or M.S.
After the defense, please submit the following graduation forms to Dr. Nicquet Blake in the Graduate Dean’s Office:
1. Copyright Disclaimer
2. Forwarding Address Form
3. Library Copyright Permission
Survey of Earned Doctorates
Survey of Earned Doctorates (for Ph.D. only)*
*Please complete the survey online. A copy of the certificate will be mailed to the GSBS office.
For dissertations and theses, please see the following timelines:
February 2020 Degree Conferral Timeline
May 2019 Degree Conferral Timeline
June 2019 Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2019 Degree Conferral Timeline
December 2019 Degree Conferral Timeline
For manuscripts, please see the following timelines:
February 2020 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
May 2019 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
June 2019 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2019 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
December 2019 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
For graduation in absentia, please see the following timelines:
February 2020 In Absentia Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2019 In Absentia Degree Conferral Timeline
May 17 Graduation Information and May 16 Rehearsal Information
Commencement exercises for the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences will be held Friday, May 17, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio's Holly Auditorium. A reception immediately follows the commencement in the Holly Auditorium Foyer.
Please be aware of the following important details for those of you who plan to attend the commencement ceremony as well as the rehearsal and commencement dinner the day before:
- Rehearsal will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 16 in the Holly Auditorium. Please make every effort possible to attend with your hooding professor. Practice is expected to last one hour.
- Commencement Dinner will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 16 on Long Campus in the Holly Auditorium Foyer. A separate invitation will be emailed to you in another week.
- All degree candidates will wear the traditional cap, gown and hood. Regalia orders will be ready for pick-up the week of May 1. Upon receipt, please check to make sure that your cap, gown, hood and tassel are all in the bag. If you did not pre-order regalia, please contact the bookstore ASAP about obtaining regalia from their bulk order. How to Wear and Carry Your Hood
- Please arrive and check in at the Academic Learning & Teaching Center (ALTC) no later than 3:00 p.m. on Graduation Day, May 17. Please look for Student Sign-In signs upon entry into the building and immediately notify us of your arrival. Academic Learning and Teaching Center Rooms 1.102, 1.105 & 1.107 will be available beginning at 2:30 p.m. for robing. Although we discourage you from bringing along any valuables, a security guard will be on-site throughout the ceremony.
- Formation of the Line of March will begin promptly at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, May 17 in the courtyard breezeway.
Once you have processed into the Holly Auditorium, candidates and participating faculty members will be assigned seating in the front rows. Your guests may be seated in any of the seats behind these reserved rows. We ask that guests arrive and be seated no later than 3:50 p.m.
The Office of Student Life will provide a professional photographer during the commencement ceremony. Prior to commencement, please stop by the Graduate Dean’s Office in the Academic & Administration Building, suite 100 (first floor) to submit your contact information to Flash Photography in order to receive your proofs. It is also appropriate for guests to take photographs during the ceremony.