Process for your Ph.D. or M.S. Defense Date and Degree Approval at Graduate Faculty Council
To schedule your final defense for Doctoral and Masters submit the following documents 1 week prior to your intended defense date:
1) Form 40. Electronic signatures will be accepted.
2) Submit one copy of abstract, Vita, and CV to the Graduate Dean’s Office
3) Reserve room with room scheduling. Contact your Academic Coordinator to assist you with a room reservation for your defense.
4) Submit a headshot photo for your defense flyer.
Dissertation and Thesis Guidelines
To learn more about our dissertation and thesis guidelines, click here.
Steps to Degree Approval at the Graduate Faculty Council
Submit the following items at least 1 week prior to the next GFC meeting which is scheduled on the second Friday of each month. If you have any questions, contact your COGS Assistant or Amber Yuker (email@example.com) in the Graduate Dean’s Office.
1) Form 41 (for MS) or Form 43 (for Ph.D.) with electronic or original signatures. All electronic signatures must be official time-stamped signatures, such as an Adobe signature.
2) Approval Page with electronic or original signatures by all faculty on your Supervising Committee. Please note that the approval page is used in the bound copy of your dissertation or thesis. If collecting original signatures and if you plan to have more than one copy of your dissertation or thesis bound, it is recommended that you collect signatures on more than one approval page, though only one copy is required.
3) Upload a final, committee-approved, PDF of your dissertation/thesis to ProQuest for review. For questions or trouble uploading to ProQuest, please contact Alex De Jesus (firstname.lastname@example.org).
4) You will receive an email confirmation when your dissertation/thesis meets formatting requirements.
Following Approval at Graduate Faculty Council
You will receive notification from your COGS Assistant if you received degree approval at the GFC.
Library Copyright Permission
For dissertations and theses, please see the following timelines:
February 2022 Degree Conferral Timeline
May 2021 Degree Conferral Timeline
June 2021 Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2021 Degree Conferral Timeline
December 2021 Degree Conferral Timeline
For manuscripts, please see the following timelines:
February 2022 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
May 2021 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
June 2021 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2021 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
December 2021 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
For graduation in absentia, please see the following timelines:
February 2022 In Absentia Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2021 In Absentia Degree Conferral Timeline
For a Commencement Checklist, please see the following document:
May 15 Graduation Information and May 14 Rehearsal Information
Commencement exercises for the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences will be held Friday, May 15, 2020, at 4:00 p.m. at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio's Holly Auditorium. A reception immediately follows the commencement in the Holly Auditorium Foyer.
To register to participate in commencement, please CLICK HERE.
Please be aware of the following important details for those of you who plan to attend the commencement ceremony as well as the rehearsal and commencement dinner the day before:
* Rehearsal will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 14 in the Holly Auditorium. Please make every effort possible to attend with your hooding professor. The practice is expected to last one hour.
* Commencement Dinner will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 14 on Long Campus in the Holly Auditorium Foyer. A separate invitation will be emailed to you.
* All degree candidates will wear the traditional cap, gown, and hood. Regalia orders will be ready for pick-up starting around the 1st of May. Upon receipt, please check to make sure that your cap, gown, hood, and tassel are all in the bag. If you did not pre-order regalia, please contact the bookstore ASAP about obtaining regalia from their bulk order. How to wear and carry your hood.
* Please arrive and check-in at the Academic Learning & Teaching Center (ALTC) no later than 3:00 p.m. on Graduation Day, May 15. Please look for Student Sign-In signs upon entry into the building and immediately notify us of your arrival. Academic Learning and Teaching Center Rooms (TBD) will be available beginning at 2:30 p.m. for robing. Although we discourage you from bringing along any valuables, a security guard will be on-site throughout the ceremony.
* Formation of the Line of March will begin promptly at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, May 15 in the courtyard breezeway. Once you have processed into the Holly Auditorium, candidates and participating faculty members will be assigned seating in the front rows. Your guests may be seated in any of the seats behind these reserved rows. We ask that guests arrive and be seated no later than 3:50 p.m. No tickets are distributed for graduation. There is no limit on the number of guests per graduating student.
* The Office of Student Life will provide a professional photographer during the commencement ceremony. Prior to commencement, the GSBS office will collect your contact information to send to Flash Photography in order to receive your proofs. It is also appropriate for guests to take photographs during the ceremony.