Process for your Ph.D. or M.S. Defense Date and Degree Approval at Graduate Faculty Council
To schedule your final defense for Doctoral and Masters submit the following documents two weeks prior to your intended defense date:
1) Form 40 Request for Final Defense, Copy of Abstract, Vita and CV submitted in IMPACT for review and signature. The graduate Deans Office will no longer accept PDF forms.
2) Reserve room with room scheduling and Zoom link if participating in a hybrid defense. Contact your Academic Coordinator to assist you with a room reservation for your defense.
3) You or your Academic Coordinator must email your room reservation information, zoom link and headshot photo to Tiffany Thompson in the Graduate Deans Office (email@example.com) for your official defense announcement.
Dissertation and Thesis Guidelines
To learn more about our dissertation and thesis guidelines, click here.
Steps to Degree Approval at the Graduate Faculty Council
The following items must be fully complete including signatures at least 1 week prior to the next GFC meeting which is scheduled on the second Friday of each month.
1) Form 41 (for MS) or Form 43 (for Ph.D.) Report on Final Oral Presentation submitted in IMPACT. The Graduate Deans Office will no longer accept PDF forms. To ensure the deadline is met it is best to do this the same day of your successfully completed defense.
2) Thesis or Dissertation Approval Page with electronic or original signatures by all faculty on your Supervising Committee submitted to Tiffany Thompson. Please note that the approval page is used in the bound copy of your dissertation or thesis. If collecting original signatures and if you plan to have more than one copy of your dissertation or thesis bound, it is recommended that you collect signatures on more than one approval page, though only one copy is required.
3) Upload a final, committee-approved, PDF of your dissertation/thesis to ProQuest for review. For questions or trouble uploading to ProQuest, please contact Alex De Jesus (firstname.lastname@example.org). Any formatting edits will need to be completed by the deadline stated above.
If you have any questions, contact your Academic Coordinator or Tiffany Thompson (ThompsonT4@uthscsa.edu) in the Graduate Dean’s Office.
Following Approval at Graduate Faculty Council
You will receive notification from your Academic Coordinator if you received degree approval at the GFC.
Library Copyright Permission
For dissertations and theses, please see the following timelines:
February 2023 Degree Conferral Timeline
May 2022 Degree Conferral Timeline
June 2022 Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2022 Degree Conferral Timeline
December 2022 Degree Conferral Timeline
For manuscripts, please see the following timelines:
February 2023 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
May 2022 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
June 2022 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2022 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
December 2022 Manuscript Degree Conferral Timeline
For graduation in absentia, please see the following timelines:
February 2023 In Absentia Degree Conferral Timeline
August 2022 In Absentia Degree Conferral Timeline
For a Commencement Checklist, please see the following document:
Please check back for an updated checklist soon.
Letters for Degree Completion
If you need a letter stating your degree conferral date, letters can be provided after your degree has been approved by the Graduate Faculty Council. Please submit requests to Tiffany Thompson (ThompsonT4@uthscsa.edu).
May 2022 Graduation Information
Graduation will be May 21st, 2022 at 9:00am in the Alamodome. Additional information for students and families can be found on the Student Life Webpage
Graduation Rehersal will be May 20th at 9:00am in the Alamodome. Tiffany Thompson will send out additional information for students who have RSVP'd.
The GSBS hooding ceremony will be May 20th, at 5:00pm in the Holly Auditorium. Tiffany Thompson will send out additional information for students who have RSVP'd.