Undergraduate Medical Education
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)
COVID-19 Visiting Student Guidance
Given the rapidly changing nature of the current COVID crisis, away electives may be canceled based on current conditions at LSOM, in San Antonio, and in Bexar County, or at the visiting student’s originating locality. These cancellations will be based on prevailing university guidelines, municipal regulations, and state mandates. A student entering the state from another may be required to quarantine for two weeks.
The Long School of Medicine (LSOM) accepts visiting students to complete fourth year elective rotations in San Antonio. Generally, these rotations are four weeks in length and are considered advanced electives. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, visiting students may begin away electives at LSOM no earlier than September 1, 2020. For academic year 2020-2021, the Long School of Medicine is not accepting students from Non-Accredited (LCME or COCA) medical schools or International Medical Schools.
Scroll table right to view more
|Visiting Student Block Schedule (AY 20-21)|
|Block 3||Aug 31 - Sept 25|
|Block 4||Sept 28 - Oct 23|
|Block 5||Oct 26 - Nov 20|
|Block 6||Nov 23 - Dec 18|
|Block 7||Jan 4 - Jan 29|
|Block 8||Feb 1 - Feb 26|
|Block 9||Mar 1 - Mar 26|
|Block 10||Mar 29 - Apr 23|
|Block 11||Apr 26 - May 21|
|Block 12||May 24 - Jun 18|
Policies & Procedures
COVID-19 has interrupted the clinical education of most, if not all, medical students. It is a medical school’s responsibility to regulate away electives in an effort to maintain safety, promote equity, and promote well-being. LSOM students receive priority consideration for all electives. Remaining availability is designated for visiting students. Per LSOM policy, the following temporary restrictions have been enacted for Academic Year 2020-2021:
- LSOM will accept visiting students in a limited capacity and will only accept students from home institutions within Texas.
- A student’s home institution cannot have the specialty to which the visiting student is applying and, therefore, the away elective provides for that student an opportunity to gain experience in that specialty which is not available to them through their home institution.
- A student that has completed an away elective in a given specialty at another school will not be permitted to rotate at LSOM.
- Once student exemption is established, students from the following institutions will be prioritized in the following way:
- University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine and University of Texas Austin Dell Medical School
- University of Texas System Medical Schools
- Accredited Medical schools (LCME or COCA) located within Texas
LSOM Office for Undergraduate Medical Education will review visiting student applications through VSLO and forward only those that meet stated qualifications to clinical departments for academic review and processing. Communication about acceptance and additional details will come from the department where the elective is being offered. Department selections should be finalized four weeks prior to the start of an elective.
Students must complete proper immunizations prior to arrival at UT Health San Antonio. A copy of the Immunization Form is found here. The AAMC Standardized Form can be accepted in place of the UT Health form.
Students from LCME accredited medical schools
Students attending schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) should apply through the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) program.
- Log into VSLO
- Search for Electives through VSLO
- Use Institution Filter: UT Sch of Medicine San Antonio
Students from non-LCME accredited schools OR international schools
Students attending schools not accredited by the LCME and students from international medical schools must complete a paper application. Students are advised to carefully review application instructions.
For Academic Year 2019-2020, the Long School of Medicine is not accepting students from Non-LCME Accredited and International Medical Schools.
- Application instructions
- Visiting Student Elective Application (International/Non-LCME)
*All electives for non-LCME or international school students are full for 2018-2019 academic year.
- Visiting Student Immunization Form
- Office of International Services
*Students from non-LCME accredited medical schools or international schools may only take up to two (2) electives, which are four (4) weeks in length. Applications for these electives are limited to five different specialty areas (if available in a given academic year).
Helpful links and services you might need during your elective in San Antonio:
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00pm
Dolph Briscoe, Jr. Library, 5th floor
Map to Our Office
Drop-in Advising Hour
Normal campus operations – Every Wednesday from 1-2 pm in Howe Conference Room (Library)
During COVID closures – Every Wednesday from 1-2 pm in each class canvas page chat room