Undergraduate Medical Education
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)
UT Health San Antonio Long School of Medicine offers elective courses that have been designed to accommodate the diverse educational needs of our students and visiting students. Electives provide students an opportunity to further develop their medical knowledge, clinical skills and professional identity. The elective catalog is designed to enhance a student’s ability to effectively plan their elective experiences. Visiting students should first review the visiting student information for specific guidance.
To successfully complete the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree program, Long SOM students must complete:
- 20 weeks of Electives
- 8 weeks of Selectives ( 4 weeks inpatient / 4 weeks ambulatory)
- 4 weeks of Didactics (4 required courses and 3 elective courses) completed during Block 9
- Pass USMLE Exams (Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS)
Elective planning tips
- Review Specialty Fact Sheets and Elective Planning by Specialty guides for your chosen specialty
- Revisit career planning slides from class meetings posted in Canvas
- Print or open a copy of the MS4 Schedule Planner to make notes
- Read Elective Catalog Quick Start Guide prior to using the tool the first time.
Planning for an off-campus ("away") rotation
- Review Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) Application Guide
- Review VSAS “Find Electives” site to search for available rotations. The site has the capability to filter based on a variety of options
- Review VSAS “Institution List” to learn about specific institutional requirements, such as eligibility requirements, fees & expense and important dates
- Complete a Course Approval Form PRIOR to leaving for an away rotation. Retroactive credit will not be granted.
Specialty Match Facts
The Specialty Match Facts provide characteristics of applicants who successfully match in a given specialty. Data includes mean USMLE Step 1 and Step 2CK scores, and other elements based on the most recent NRMP Match results.
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Neurological Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Radiation Oncology
- Radiology – Interventional
Elective Planning by Specialty
The Elective Planning by Specialty Guides provide a list of recommended elective courses for medical students with a career interest in a particular specialty. The intended users are faculty advisors and students in planning elective course options during the clinical years.
Please check back, as additional specialty guides are being developed!
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00pm
Dolph Briscoe, Jr. Library, 5th floor
Map to Our Office
Drop-in Advising Hour
Normal campus operations – Every Wednesday from 1-2 pm in Howe Conference Room (Library)
During COVID closures – Every Wednesday from 1-2 pm in each class canvas page chat room