The Information Systems Office (ISO) provides a variety of information technology services to the department,
ranging from desktop support and software and hardware installation to management of servers and administration of Facilities Management's computerized maintenance management system (CMMS). The ISO is responsible in providing a 24/7/365 computing infrastructure in support of FM's mission to the Health Science Center.
The ISO supports 250+ users working in the different Health Science Center campuses in San Antonio as well the regional sites at Edinburg, Harlingen, and Laredo, TX.
- 130+ workstations, tablets, and associated peripherals in a mixed Windows environment
- 3 servers for file and for university fuel management system
Programming and Development
- Custom reporting using Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) and Crystal Reports
- SQL via Oracle SQL Plus, Benthic Golden
- Facilities Management website
- Microsoft Infopath form design integrated with Microsoft Office Sharepoint Services (MOSS)
- Custom MS Access database design and programming
The ISO manages AiM, an enterprise asset management (EAM) system by Assetworks®, Inc. AiM is a "comprehensive web-based management solution" that enables Facilities to "track expenditures, optimize workflow, and reduce the total cost of ownership of assets." AiM's suite of applications allow Facilities to manage and track work requests submitted by the Health Science Center's many departments, create and execute preventive maintenance templates and schedules for accountable equipment and assets, and support a full-time stockroom operation.
- Oracle server (hosted by HSC Information Management Services department)
- BIRT and Crystal Reports data retrieval and reporting
- Integration with MS Infopath and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) to allow online submission of work requests
- Multiple interface points with Peoplesoft® to allow purchase order processing, update of vendor/contractor records, accounts management, and "location" data (i.e. buildings, rooms, etc.).
Facilities Management has partnered with Grainger, a leading industrial supply company, to employ the use of KeepStock Secure, a vending machine and internet appliance that allows Facilities crafstmen to get the materials and supplies they need for the job fast. Housing a variety of items from drill bits to safety glasses to small handheld tools, the vending machines use a laser scanner to read the crafstman's Health Science Center employee badge number for authentication. The craftsman then inputs the work orders he/she has been assigned for the day and the unit dispenses product. With a real-time connection with AiM, vending machine transactions from all five KeepStock Secure "carousels" located strategically in the Health Science Center's campuses are fed to AiM for job costing.
FuelFocus is an automated fuel management system used to support the fuel needs of the Health Scicence Center's fleet of vehicles as well as gasoline-powered equipment. A TCP/IP-connected control unit stationed at the Health Science Center's gas pump reports the issue, receipt and transfer of unleaded gasoline to a central Microsoft SQL Server database whenever any of the 300+ authenticated operators swipe their issued key fob. The database maintains vehicle and operator information, tank capacities, fuel transactions, and odometer readings. An interface between FuelFocus and AiM allows fuel transactions to be reported against work orders to which state vehicles are assigned, thereby allowing Facilities Management to bill departments for fuel dispensed via Inter-departmental Transfer (IDT).
Breeze Custodial Solutions®
Custodial Services supervisors use software by Breeze Custodial Solutions, a comprehensive cleaning management program incorporating all the "analysis, management, and reporting tools needed to build a cleaning plan, work the plan, measure results,and continually improve." With over two million square feet of cleaning space, Custodial Services use Breeze to manage staffing, workloads, and equipment. Custodial Services management use Breeze on Apple iPads to conduct cleaning quality checks and inspections and generate reports.